Freecycle hates me

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 14, 2009

I've had nothing but issues with freecycle. Last summer they refused my request for membership because I said I was a first year teacher looking for things for my classroom :confused:

I decided to try again this year using a different email. This time I got in. I made my first post today (my other was a post offering 25 brand new binders I don't need.) My first post was this:

Someone gave me a very nice printer to use in my classroom, however, it's missing the electrical cord. I've been carting my own printer cord with me to and from school but it's such a hassle. If anyone has an HP printer electrical cord (I think they're pretty basic and will all fit) that you can give away, please contact me. Thanks!

Their response:

Thank you for using Freecycle. Unfortunately, your message cannot be approved at this time. Listed below are some of the more common reasons for rejecting a message.

1. Subject line should read: "WANTED: item" This makes it easier for our members to quickly sort and scan the messages. Then Include your "general area".

2. Remove live web links, sig lines, advertising.

3. Wait 30 days prior to the reposting a Wanted message; no more than one Wanted message per day.

4. Limit your message to a specific item, or a couple of related items (pots and pans, towels and washcloths). No requests to furnish a home, nursery, wedding, etc. or Wants such as "anything for a baby, cowboy-themed birthday party, toys for a 6-year-old," etc. In other words, be specific.

5. Personal or commercial services may not be requested on Smithfield Freecycle(TM).

6. No requests for charitable donations.

7. Remove references to financial difficulties, personal hardship, etc. A sense of humor is okay, tugging at heartstrings is not. People give something because they have it to give, not because they feel sorry for you.

8. Requests must be for tangible items that would otherwise end up in the landfill. Services, information, and other non-tangibles as well as tickets, coupons, proofs-of-purchase and other such items do not pass the landfill test.

9. No requests to loan/borrow/purchase/trade/barter, etc.

10. No Phone numbers are allowed.

Please make your corrections and resubmit.

I don't understand what I did wrong. My local Freecycle seems so elitist. Does this happen to other people?? :(

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2009

Seems ridiculous to me. I suppose you could put your printer's model number. Would that satisfy their requirement to be specific?

They are quite picky.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2009

You aren't the only one PF!

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

FreeCycle is very meticulous with the rules...

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 14, 2009

My local freecycle rules say that your first post MUST be an offer, not a wanted.

7. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 14, 2009

Title it "Wanted: HP printer xxxx [whatever model] electrical cord."

Delete the part about taking your own back & forth. Resubmit. No big deal - they don't want your life's story. The idea is for people to get rid of stuff to someone who will use it. I was on several years ago, but got off it, because I had too many issues of people who were supposed to come and pick up stuff, and months later it was still here. I could have given it away 5 times, but they kept making excuses.... when the moderator asked why I wanted off the list, I was honest. It wasn't anything they did, but I can't mess around with people's perennial excuses. When I want something gone, I'll call Goodwill and poof! It's gone.

Best to you.

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 14, 2009

wow, we must have different freecycles!

my freecycle isn't quite that picky. We are allowed to post for loan/borrowed items. with regards to item no. 4 and 7, ours mods. can care less if we ask for certain items for a child's bday, gender, etc. and if we post that we are looking for these items for financial difficulties.

If I were you, I would ask the Mods what exactly is wrong with your post.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

My freecycle is very picky too so don't feel bad. Mine also STRONGLY encourages you to post an offering first, then post a wanted.

10. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

Wow. My freecycle isn't picky at all.

11. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 15, 2009

Same here. Goodwill is just down the road and no hassles with back and forth people who have no time to pick things up but are on the computer all the time to tell me they have no time to get it.

Goodwill is more appreciative. ;)

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 15, 2009

I've been there, Pisces Fish. Once I got banned from a website because my first post violated their rule about having all words in thread titles capitalized. I explained to them that I was using a text-to-speech software that didn't make the differentiation so I didn't notice the other posts were all capitalized, but that I would do that from now on. They banned me for being "smart aleck" with them!

Some of these websites have such strict rules to the point it's unnecessary. I can try to suggest what rules I think your post violated.

Asking for an HP printer "that you can give away" might qualify as asking for a charitable donation.

Mentioning that you had to bring your own cord with you which was a hassle might be considered a "reference to financial difficulties and personal hardships."

The only other trivial detail I can think of is, did you title your message "WANTED: (the item)"? If you didn't, they might have rejected it for that reason.

I thought your post was fine but was just trying to comb through it with a fine-tooth comb so that you can repost it. I hope that could help.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2009

I was a member of two FreeCycle groups in two adjoining counties--not one in my county--and I was THROWN OUT of one for posting too many things to give away.

Geez . . .

I had grouped as many items as possible, but some things just didn't go together at all!

Sometimes the people are just weird. There are several people who respons to anything . . . no matter whan it is. Some others always want me to deliver or say they'll come get something and never do.

My favorite was when I gave away my old laptop. The add stated that it worked, but was just too slow for the programs I used. I bought a new one. One person asked me why I would give way a laptop when it worked. Ummmm . . . because I want to?

I've started giving things to Goodwill, and usually at work I can ask around and find people to take bigger items.

14. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

I just joined my local FreeCycle. I hope I don't have these problems! EEeeeK!!