Free Stuff for teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hescollin, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2009

I'm wondering what free goodies you have found for this school year.

My favorite is free pizza from Pizza Hut. Google search Pizza Hut OR Book It and get the facts. Don't make the student goal to high or your students will get discouraged.

Colgate has a program for K, 1, 2 and 3rd graders. You get a free tooth brush and toothpaste for each student. The kit includes a free Dora video.

3. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

How do we sign up to get free toothbrushes for the students? I think I found the site and I signed up, but I don't see anywhere that mentions anything about free toothbrushes.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2009

Student Treasure.

They send you a writing book kit. THey send you lots of paper and the kids work together to create a class book. You send it back to them and they finish "publishing" the book for you. Parents have an option of ordering their own copy of the class book. Plus, teachers can pick a free gift for participating in the program (bag, stickers, timer, etc). It's really a great program.

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

Wow Peachy - that looks AWESOME! Do you know if a class can you do more than one? (I'm looking at the thankful class book and a regular one)

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2009

I'm not really certain about that. I've only done it two years in a row and I've only done the whole class book. Here's the link

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Cool! Thanks for sharing, just sent it to our admin. We are a small K- 12 charter. Hopefully the admin will use it for our computer lab.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

These all look great with one exception only one goes higher than elementary school. :( Anyone know of anything for middle school???????

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2009

Scholastic Read to Succeed program, it's k-6. Every kid that reads or is read to for 6 hours gets a free ticket to six flags. Every teacher that has even one kid in their class participate also gets a free ticket. It is a school wide program. I'm the coordinator for my school, and it's really not that much work.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

I love Studenttreasures and the Book It gift certificates.

The Read to Succeed program sounds awesome, too, but we don't have a Six Flags... the closest is Atlanta, and that's still 8 hours north of us!! :)

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Me too. I signed up but couldn't find a link to toothbrushes. I even went through the site map.

13. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Aug 7, 2009

Wilbooks

We applied for free books from wilbooks.com in the May. We just received them this week. Some of their programs ask you to pay shipping costs. We used the totally free book application.

14. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 7, 2009

My primary team did the Student Treasures thing last year. It's a neat program (and yes, we did both a class book and individual books at different times during the year). The only thing with the company is that the first year you participate, the company chooses your publishing dates. Unfortunately for us, the first deadline was right before Thanksgiving break and the second was about two weeks after we got back from Christmas break! Not exactly the best times of the year for "extra" projects! Once you do the first year, though, then they let you choose the publishing dates you want.

I would NOT recommend doing this for kindergarten. It's just a lot of work for them (and it ended up being a lot of extra "touch up" work for us teachers). You have to do certain things on certain pages and one boy in my class got so stressed out and anxious about doing it wrong that he started crying! I felt horrible!!

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2009

Can you provide a link? I can't find it.

17. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 7, 2009

I used to love the Book It program, but they started closing most of the Pizza Huts in my area :( I'm really looking forward to trying out the Colgate thing as we teach a unit on Health in our first grade curriculum!

18. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

I was curious and did a search for it earlier while trying to find more info. I found Six Flags Read to Succeed program combined with Weekly Reader, not Scholastic. http://www.weeklyreader.com/rts_faq.asp

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2009

Actually, I've done this in kindergarten last year and the book came out amazing!! The kids had a blast with it. It was an alphabet scribble art book. Each kid got a letter in the alphabet and scribbled an animal that started with that letter. Then, they wrote a story about that animal. We did this one on one though!!! I had my aide pull my kids, I pulled my kids when I could, and my partner teacher pulled my kids. I did do a little touch up, but I did a LOT of it when I also did this with my fifth graders! :rolleyes: I set the date for, I believe, April and began the project in January and just took our time. Oh, and by then, the kids were able to write the story on their own. So, that was really helpful. Yes, I can see this project being difficult in the beginning of the year.

20. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

Have you used the new teacher assistance program? I was wondering what kind of books were included. I guess I should just try, huh? :D

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

Unless you do a class book in kindergarten. :)

22. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Aug 7, 2009

cityfrog6

We don't have any new teachers but that program looked interesting. You really can't lose.

23. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Aug 8, 2009

24. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

Oopsie, thank you for catching that and providing the link!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

THANKS! I just signed up for 30 free guided reading books for Kindergarten as part of the first/second year teaching assistance program. Wow!

26. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

With the colgate program, once you sign up they will send you a box full of goodies in February/March. In there is a board game, video, toothbrushes, toothpaste and booklets for the kids to bring home. Hope that helps!

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

Fun!

28. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

McDonald's also does a reading program. If a child reads 10 books they can earn a free happy meal. My kids love it. I have better participation in McDonald's than I do for Pizza Hut!

29. randomguy

randomguy New Member

Aug 11, 2009

Studentales is the middle school version of Studentreasures. Just google studentales and you will find the website, it's a great program!

30. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

How do you sign up for the McDonald's reading program? I've only seen Pizza Hut.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2009

I signed up for that 2 years ago and it was a great kit that they sent!