Free reading websites

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Jan 31, 2008.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jan 31, 2008

I love Starfall.com for my kids. However I have one student who is reading above this level. Do you know of another website for more advanced readers that is free?

3. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Feb 2, 2008

I noticed that you haven't had any responses to this post. I don't have any websites that would help. Everything our school uses requires site licenses. However, I am thinking, if all the features of Starfall.com are too easy for this child, perhaps you can go to an upper grade level at your site to ask for suggestions. We use accelerated reader at our school, so when I had a student that was reading really well last year, I assessed his reading level. He was reading at grade level 3.7 in Kindergarten! After that, I went to the 3rd grade teachers, and they helped me find things to challenge this boy. He still preferred Starfall, because it helped him to learn how to use the computer and helped him work the mouse. He didn't have one at home, so the exposure helped him. Hope this helps!

4. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Feb 3, 2008

Thank you for your help!

5. alabam417

alabam417 Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

Try this site

It won't let me post a link since I'm a new member on here but type in: CAESAR RODNEY ELEMENTARY in your search bar and you'll find hundreds of reading activities for all ages. GREAT site!

6. alabam417

alabam417 Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

It won't let me post a link since I'm a new member on here but type in: CAESAR RODNEY ELEMENTARY in your search bar and you'll find hundreds of reading activities for all ages. GREAT site!

7. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

alabam417 great site. Thanks!

8. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

Thank you so much for this website. I love it! Just what I was looking for!

9. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Feb 10, 2008

In addition, you can use Tumblebooks free through the NY Public Library's website. Tumblebooks is a site that has audio books, it shows the kids the illustrations and has the words and the kids hear the words as they are highlighted on the screen. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tumblebooks.

To get there, go to http://www.nypl.org then along the right side, click on "NYPL for Kids". From there, click the button that says "Tumblebooks". Happy reading! :D

10. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

Wow, great site! Thanks!!