Free play, good ideas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by anna9868, Dec 19, 2008.

1. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 19, 2008

"Children learn just as much if not more through free play, (that has been set up with learning in mind,)"

I'd like to hear from other people some interesting ideas for free play. I can see that it depends a lot on my toys/materials available, but some ideas are pretty cheap and easily duplicated.

I usually put out some puzzles on the table for my 2/3 year olds. Lately started to take out floor puzzle (only I need to be involved a lot in order to sustain interest)

I heard a good one from one of my co-workers. She takes a big roll of paper, tapes it to the table (we have a long table available ) and let the children color with crayons on it.

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Cover a wall and floor with a plastic shower liner first, then tape long paper to the wall. Then give children real paint rollers and have fun (you do have to supervise so they don't paint the whole room). Other times you could make hand prints, large gadget prints, large arm movement drawings, a cooperative collage mural, etc.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

OMG! The Dramatic Play area with empty food cartons of all kinds, and plastic food, plates, cups, silverware, etc. The things the children will come up with in the area is priceless! A child, one day on the play phone, "Hon! Are you coming home for dinner? It's ready and you're not here yet!" They will have hours of reenactment of what they hear their parents, grandparents, teachers, etc. say. It's the most popular area in our Classroom. The girls are always taking over this area, so every other day, I make sure the boys have a turn there, and the girls take over the Block Area.
    Enjoy,
    Rebel1

5. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

Oh yes, we have a food area with lots of plastic food and plates. I usually have it avaialbe every morning and children love it. I just think I should introduce NEW ideas, because usually my children play with the same toys every day (twice a week when we meet, that is)

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 20, 2008

Occasionally we remove all of the blocks from the block area, leaving the cars and the signs and things. The places for the blocks are then filled w/tp tubes, jello boxes taped shut, big mailing tubes and a giant wholesale sized bag of 12 oz cups. As the play develops, we include posterboard, colored tape and clear celophane tape.

We build all sorts of contraptions!!!

Having a lot of playdough w/ no real gadgets, a lot of time and a lot of space for the play helps as well. Often this area is called the "bakery" but the children.

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

By gadgets do you mean various things used to play with playdough (rolling pins, etc)? With my children they are very popular, some would lose interest in playdough if not for those scissors,etc.

8. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

i have used shaving cream over my tables and let them get loose in it.

9. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

There's almost endless free play ideas that you can use depending on what learning centers you have in your room.

Are there specific centers in your room that you are looking for free play ideas?

We could probably have several running threads that share ideas for each individual center. Discovery Table, dramatic play, block area, science area, etc....

10. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

I remove my rolling pins, hammers, scissors and other dough gadgets from my play dough area a few times a year. They need the chance to use only their hands when working with the dough. I've discovered that the kids tend to rely on the tools to much, and weren't developing their fine motor skills enough. I've had kids who weren't able to make a snake, pancake or ball with the dough while only using their hands, because they were depending too much on the tools to do the work for them.

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Like mrgrinch09, I like to have only play dough out at times. That is when I will make a different kind of clay - a kind we have not tried yet. Also, silly putty is very cool (and easy to make with Discount's Silly Putty Solution and Biocolors.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 21, 2008

no by gadgets I mean those things that the playdo company sells like Ice Cream Maker and so on. Rolling pins and scissors we have as well. However, by adding the playdo into the pretend kitchen we discovered we are able to make things w/ playdough and no tools at all!! That was a wonderful discovery for us. Like others I have noticed that when the children are new, they can't really use the playdo in the way the more experienced children can.

We have 'hot playdo day" - the day the playdo is made it is warm still from the stove-the kneeding of the dough is something they can't use tools for, it took us a while to get the under our belts.

We really love playdo now, and we can make models of things that look a bit like real life-even our twos. the other day a 2 made a 'cucumber holder' with a snake in the middle, two sticks on the end and unifix blocks on the snake. another two said, 'i haven't had that much butter on a cucumber-but i like it on my corn on the cob'! Twos in playdo - having actual conversations!! Priceless.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 21, 2008

I love shaving cream as well!!!

14. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

yea its so fun and squishy lol

15. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 22, 2008

Thank you for all the interesting ideas. The shaving cream sounds very interesting (I just need to get over my paranoia that it would all end up on the carpet :(
    And the playdough only without tools does sound like a good way to develop fine motor skills.

The reason I asked this question is I feel that I mostly do the same kind of activities for free play every time we meet. And some children rarely try anything new. For example, I have 1 boy and 3 girls, and I often feel that most of my activities are girls-oriented. All the small and big puzzles, dressing ups, etc., my boy usually just sits by himself and plays with cars while I help the girls with puzzles, or dress-ups. Shaving cream would probably grab everyone's attention.

Oh, one thing that is ALWAYS popular among children is rice table. I don't bring it to the class often, but when I do, it's a big hit.

16. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 22, 2008

This sounds interesting, what is it?

17. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

The discovery table is the same thing as a sensory table. The rice table that you mentioned is your discovery table.

Does it always have rice in it? Try putting new mediums in the table for the children to explore. Water, Sand, pasta, buttons, flour, shredded paper, fabric scraps, marbles, bottle caps, styrofoam. Try something different.

Messes happen. Messes can be cleaned up, carpets can be cleaned. Forget about the messes, and worry about what the children want and need.

18. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

Sticky activities my kids have loved:

Cornstarch and water makes a good goop or silly putty--it's a bit messy, so put down a large paper or shower curtain if you only have carpet

Homemade play dough--so many kinds, sand, coffee grounds, and scented dough (use Kool-aid pouches) are the kinds we have tried

Bath foam (find it with the kids' shampoos/soaps in stores)--we can't have shaving cream b/c of it being possibly toxic if ingested

Also, I make monthly runs to the dollar store and put out one or two new materials in each center--these have included larger multicolored chalk in art, large soft dice in manipulatives, large cardboard "brick" blocks in blocks, etc. I wish I could take out my blocks and really have more homemade materials, alas, ECERS and my director won't let me. I can add to, but not take away from certain centers.

Also, what about putting out blocks in a tower/house arrangement and inviting the children to help you add on. I find that children who were never interested in blocks enjoy working with them with a teacher nearby to introduce how to play with them.

19. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Dec 22, 2008

I read on here once to tape long sheets of paper to the underside of your table and have kids lay on their backs and color. I did it I had to replace the paper three times in a day, they loved it sooooo much.

clothes pins and sturdy cups... They will sit there for a long time and put the clothes pin onto the edge of the cup and pinch it to take it off again. I put about 5 or 6 clothes pins onto each cup. Eventually, the clothes pins will be attached to shirts, pants, fingers, noses, lips, ears, hair.

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 22, 2008

after the clothes pins get attached to things well, i have them match up mitten cut outs for 3 little kittens extentions. When we are really mastering that i add letters and thing so that the mitten need to be matched and then hung.

21. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2008

Today I placed an Eye Chart in the Dramatic Play Area.
    Some were trying to move closer as the letters got smaller. They were instructed that they couldn't do that because it's cheating. They were supposed to remain at the marked spot.
    They had a great time with it.:thumb:
    In our water table, I placed Sand with measuring containers, spoons, scoops of all kinds. I'm adding vehicles to it tomorrow. We've had Water with boats, beans, noodles of all kinds, pine cones, rocks, dirt, packaging peanuts, etc., flour, until some of the students decided to add water to it. It turned into a whole new experience for them and it was cool to hear them laugh and see them have fun with it. Of course they cleaned it up afterwards. Let the children's laughter remind us of how we use to be, like George Benson puts it in his song, "The Greatest Love Of All". If you haven't heard of this song, check it out! It's my all time fav. Whitney Houston did a re-do which is NOT AS GOOD, to me, and should have left it alone. Ooops! Back to the subject......:D
    In our Science Area, I placed a Search Bottle, with sand in it, with a rubber band, a crayon, a plastic flower, a leaf, paper clip, a bean, etc. The children enjoy looking for all these items in the bottle.
    Planting beans are always a BIG hit with our Pre-K's and it never gets old. They are fascinated with the beans growing towards the light. I turned the beans around and told them that the beans would change around and find the light. :cool:
    One of the new Math things I placed in the Math Area was paper plates with clothes pins. Each paper plate has a number 0-10, plus the way each numeral is spelled; 1-one, 2-two, etc., and marked lines for the value of the numeral. They place the pins on the lines and they definitely are not only doing Math but also their Fine Motor Skills are sharpened, plus reading/recognizing the way the numerals are spelled. More of the boys like it better than girls. What is it with Math that scares some girls away? I enjoy Math! :thumb:
    Dress up clothes in Dramatic Play was a BIG hit with my Pre-Ks in CA. We had this one boy that kept dressing up with the dresses and high heels. He kept putting together some of the most unthought of combinations & he kept us laughing with his Creativity.:lol: I haven't put any dress up clothes at this place I'm at now due to some other issues BUT maybe I will try it for the New Year.
    Rebel1

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 22, 2008

The type of free play I read here is what I describe as directed play. During free play time (choice time) the teacher puts out specific activities to direct the learning of a child. I find for this time of day to be successful, the teacher must add items. If a director will not allow items to be added, you have to mix the available itmems up so that they look new.

And, I require the sensory table, easles and playdough to be available every day. Usually not every child gets a turn at each activity each day--or needs a longer turn--so having it out each day meets the needs of the children.

Remember that toddlers learn by taking things apart before putting together. So, puzzles will come apart more often than together. Flannel board activities will be take it down, rather than put it up. I love putting contact paper up, sticky side out, and letting them remove small items (Christmas bows are great).

23. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 22, 2008

OH, blue, thanks for reminding me about contact paper and bows. Now i know what we will do tomorrow for a bit!!

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 22, 2008

I have done this before, too! My kiddos LOVED it! My director walked in and wanted to know why all the children were under the table, and once I explained the situation she thought it was great, too.

I like adding boxes, pine cones, toilet paper roles, magazines, ribbon and leaves to the art area. This lets the children explore a variety of materials and they come up with some creative projects! I also always have paint and play dough available (not together). I like including real kitchen gadgets with the play dough or sensory table. The children really like to explore using "grown up" tools like ladels, serving spoons, potato mashers, whisks, pots, bowls and tongs.

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2008

IMO the key to free play working is to play along side the children. As my group splits up into many pods I have assistants to help with the playing and when parents have a few extra minutes to stay they know how to jump into a pod and play as well.

I think that I read before your class is small-but I just wanted to make sure you can easily have them all in one area (if they were to choose to) while you were starting a game.

The grown up just picks a play place and starts by saying "look and what is here......_______ would you like to join me?". The children usually magically end up all right there. Make sure you don't have the same person playing w/you all the time.

26. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 23, 2008

I've figured that out too. In my case that's the only time of the day when I can do something really educational with children, like talk about colors, shapes, animals, etc. in the process of a game

Yes, my class is small, 4 kids. But that doesn't help me figure out how to get them all together. They just have different interests, the most I can get is 2 kids working on the same thing. I guess our rice table is the only exception.

But then, is it really important to have the children (2/3 y.o.) being all involved in the same thing?

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2008

I don't think you are any less teaching when you teach during free play. In many cases I think you are doing more during that time than teacher directed time. You are able to know how the person you are interacting is doing and have much more ability to change the manner in which things are presented so that they can get the full effect of the chosen topic.

I love free play w/intentional teaching.

If you have a small class and you can get any number larger than one to do a thing you have it. you don't need the entire group doing the same exact thing-then it wouldn't be free time. free means that they can choose from the given tasks what they want. However, if you are in a place, they may choose that place when they wouldn't normally. Or if you are in that place you may be able to get them to do something more than if you weren't there.

28. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 24, 2008

Discovery Table

My discovery table is not the same as my sensory/rice table. it's more like a science table but not really just science. I se it to put random thing on and see how the kids respond to it. right now my discovery table has a basket of real life like plastic bugs, about 100 bug photos that I cut out o one of my husbnads bu id books and laminated, some magnifying glasses, some stretchy plastic tube things that I bought at Walmart in the party aisle for a whole 89 cents each--they can stretchthem out and push them back and they do all kinds of things with them, a jacob's ladder, and one of those stringy balls, and a kaleidoscope. I switchit out allt he time with random things, usually with no particuar motive ro reason for the items--just a chnce for themt o play and discover new things----peaks theri interest and gets them investigating!

29. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 24, 2008

i do shaving cream quit often with my kids. Its a great tool. it also cleans the tables of sticky residue quite well! If it does get onthe carpet it doesn't stain and makes the room smell nice. I jsut use the cheapest I can find. I also use it to make puffy paint and the kids love to paint with it.

30. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 24, 2008

the biggiest hit in my room for freeplay time is long pieces of cardboard! They have used it to sit in and pretend its the mayflower, they use it for a slide for the baby dolls, they use it for a train, a ramp for the monster trucks, a race track for the matchbox cars, and most recently they have been using it for a bed and a couch! Anytime we get soemthing that comes in a long box I ask for the cardboard. next most popular is the magic writers and dry erase boards. I try to let the children use theri imagaination as uch as possible because so many are stuck inside at home in front of a tv that they don't get a chance otuside of the classroom to develop their imagianation and imagiantion in where problem solving comes from--

31. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 24, 2008

s.mom, I love your discovery table. I would call it a science table. So many classrooms lack a good science area. It is always one of the first things I tell new staff to include in their setup. Free play science is hard to set up, so keep up the good work.

32. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 24, 2008

Ask parents to bring in empty food boxes once a month for even more fun in the home center. Cereal boxes and egg cartons are always a favorite.

Also, younger kids and kids with developmental delays have a lot of fun making collages by using contact paper with the sticky side up and just laying items on it. If you use clear, you can put the whole thing on a piece of construction paper and display it.

When I taught toddlers/twos I loved using different items to paint with to add interest. Some of the items I used were: big kitchen spoons, whisks, baster, sliced fruit/vegetables, bath sponges, etc..

33. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 27, 2008

cereal boxes I would guess are for buiding, what about egg cartons? We have a whole draw full of them in the office, I've been wondering how to put them in use.
    At home I would give my 2 year old beans and an egg carton, only it takes her 10 seconds to fill it up with beans and then she starts throwing all over the kitchen. Maybe I should find something bigger to put in those holes.

34. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 27, 2008

I meant as props for the home center primarily. However, plastic tweezers can turn an egg carton into an awesome fine motor activity. You can put cotton balls or small puff balls from the craft store to move around with the tweezers. If you use the colored balls you can put a dot of paint at the bottom of each cup, let it dry and have them match the puff ball to the paint color.

35. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2008

Not to be the grinch, but Oregon's Child Care Division does not allow us to use egg cartons, due to Samonella or some other food bourne disease.

36. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Dec 30, 2008

I can tell you what NOT to use....construction markers that have been broken free from the highway and are lying on the side of the road. Apparently, as the not so nice officer informed me, the taking of these is a felony. I can't look at something lying on the side of the road without wondering how it can be used in the classroom...DARN MY PRESCHOOL TEACHER ORIENTED MIND!

37. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

I use egg cartons for sorting all kinds fo objects--different beans, and of course we make caterpillars out of them too. If you don't have tweezers for all your kids you can clothes pins or those clips that youcan get to put on chip bags (not the ones that look like a T), but the ones that look more like a computer mouse. Those work especially well for children that have weak fine motor skills, as they can put more fingers on them-, you can use pom poms in them or cotton balls or anything that they can "clip". I usually give each child a bowl of whatever item we are using and instruct them to fill each hole, then when they ahve done that have them take it back out and put it in the egg cartons

38. abchild

abchild Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

Blue, who had a problem with egg cartons....certifier or sanitarian? Just wondering since we too are in Oregon and cant find it in the rules. And we use them in our recycle area. Never been a problem for us. We use free play almost exclusively in our program (with intentional teaching/environment set up)

39. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2009

For number fun; you can number the little spaces in the egg cartons and have a whole mess of plastic insects lying around...student can then drop 3 insects into the space marked 3; 4 insects into the space marked 4, etc...

I also like to keep magazines on a table and kids can cut out whatever suits their fancy!

40. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 1, 2009

It was the certifier who told me that sanitation did not allow egg cartons to be used. She said this only after seeing some in the classroom--like an afterthought. The regulations don't say anything about it. I used to use egg cartons and meat trays all the time, but since "my" certifier said no, I don't use them. I certainly would continue to use them until told otherwise. I was just sharing that information so no one would be shocked if told that.

41. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jan 1, 2009

I have toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, butter containers and other recycleables (sp?) in my block area. These make a great addition to my wooden blocks, and my kids love to try and make things with them as well. Just thought this was an inexpensive way to incorporate other materials as well! :)