Free master degree!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Hey, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Hey

Hey New Member

Feb 12, 2007

hey all,

i am very new to this, i hope it works. right now i am finishing up my BFA in art education at pratt institute in brooklyn, ny. i want to get my masters degree in special education.

1) my first question is how do i go about getting my masters degree free? i've heard depending on where you teach and how long you teach in a school, that school pays for you to get you masters degree. is this true or false?

2) Should i work wait a year to get my masters, get my masters and then work when i finish or should i work and get my masters at the sametime?

3) can anyone recommend an afford but good (community) college

:thanks:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Hi and welcome.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

In NY, a Masters is required for Permanent Certification. Therefore I know of no school that will pay you to earn one, since you'll need one anyway.

Nassau Community College on LI has a great reputation. But, like most community colleges, you can only get up to an AA/AS there-- no graduate degrees as far as I know.

Have you tried Queeens College? I know a number of people who went there and I hear it's relatively affordable.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

my district repays special ed teachers masters loans if they work in a special classroom in the district for at least three years. And you have to work while you're in school. Check to see what programs are available in your area.

if you can afford it and your program doesn't have other requirements, go to school and then work.

I don't know any schools.

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

Aliceacc, I don't know about NY buy in KY a master's degree is required for permanent certification, but if you are enrolled in a program for special education like I describe above they give you an emergency certification so you can teach right away and earn your master's in the meantime. It's a way for them to keep teachers in these classroom's. If they expected special ed teacher to get their master's before teaching, pay for it themselves, and not get them to sign a contract for three years, they would not be able to fill all these positions.

6. Hey

Hey New Member

Feb 12, 2007

does anyone work for the nyc board of education? if so is it true that if you work in the trouble schools they pay for your masters if you stay there for two or three years?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

I checked the NYC BOE site. Most of the grants seem to be bi-lingual special ed... kind of a narrow focus. There are just so many colleges and universites in NYC that there very frequently ARE more than enough applicants to fill most jobs.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

My school district reimburses up to $2000 a year for graduate classes. At the time I got my masters, the number was less, but it did pay for my entire program over 4 years. I feel very fortunate to have had this opportunity.

10. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2007

Is it true with that Loan Forgiveness Program that you only qualify if you took out a Family loan??? I would think that is so unfair. Aliceacc, do you know of a loan forgiveness program for any NY teacher???? I read something about this years ago and never looked into it.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2007

I have no clue, sorry.

The only assistance I got was 1/3 off my Masters at St. Johns University because I was teaching in a Catholic School. I'm not sure whether or not the program still exists; I got my Masters over 20 years ago.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2007

No problem Aliceacc, thanks for trying to help. I know I have to look further into this as the months go by. I hope there is something out there to cut down these loans that I have. And the scary thing is, I'm not even done with my Master's yet. So........you know the story.