Free laminating at Office Max

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by BethMI, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Starting this Thurs. there is free laminating at Office Max-Thursdays only. Here it goes through Sept. something???

I asked the manager at my nearby OM if there was a limit (told him I have 30 folders to laminate), and he said no, that would be fine.

We have free laminating at school, but at the beginning of the year, everyone has so much stuff to do! Thought I'd share. :)

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Oh wow!! Our school doesn't have a laminating machine. :(

I had a poster laminated over the summer for my room and they were going to charge me an outragous price. However, I got lucky - they made a small crease and gave it to me for free!

4. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

that's really good to know!! If it doesn't pan out, Staples will do the thick laminating for .60 cents a foot. Just be SURE to tell them you do NOT want the preset sizes, that you want it laminated in the "poster" style. THe preset stuff is like $3-$6 per SHEET!! and boy does it run up a bill!! :eek: If you have smaller stuff, say like letters, or folders... they try to use the expensive preset sheets where they just lay it between to laminate sheets and run it through.
    IF you ask them to do it poster style, they have to stand there and prefed the items just like you would at school.:whistle:

A third option is to check out your district teacher resource center. They frequently have professional materials in addition to laminating, diecuts etc..
    Just a bit of FYI...;)

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

The only laminating machine available at our district is at the middle school and it is only big enough for index cards (or there abouts!)

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

Bethmi- Just went to the website and printed a coupon! Thank you so much for letting us know. It starts August 2nd. I will be the first one when the doors open!

7. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I haven't been able to find the coupon on the Office Max website. Help!:thanks:

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

Here is the ad, wait until it flips pages then go to index. You will find it there, just click on go, and it shows up....play with it a little.

I have a question of everyone. I have 30 maps to do (for students at their desks, but they are big) and I have about 30 other things to do. Is that too much to take to one store? :eek: Or should I split it between the two closest stores????? I just need it done, cannot afford it, and my school doesn't have a machine.

HELP!

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

:lol: Doesn't hurt to try. Try going first thing in the morning, like when the doors open. Chances are if they aren't busy they won't have a problem doing it. After all, it's Teacher Appreciation Week!

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I plan on getting there early too! I am making my husband help me get my folders together so they are ready for Thursday!

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 29, 2007

I just went to the site. I don't think you need to have a coupon, do you?

By the way- Barnes and Noble is having a $1 book sale. Today only.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I called one of the Office Maxes here. The guy answering the phone didn't know about it but asked me to hold while he found out and sure enough...he said yes..free laminating Aug.2, Thurdays. No Limit. Just show your teacher ID. You don't need a coupon or Max Rewards card...nothing like that...at least here in the city.
    Whoopee!! I am doing all my charts and posters!! I have about 25 and he said, bring them in!! I don't plan to use them all this year but might as well get them laminated for free!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Does anyone know when this offer ends???

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Ahh if only there were an office max within 50 miles of me....

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

You need a teacher ID?? I don't have one! My school last year broke the badge machine the week before school started and I never got one. And I technically don't work for a school, I'm labeled as "independent contract" so my paychecks come through the local college, not the school district. I don't have anything else that would identify me.:(

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Thursdays, August 2 - September 13

17. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

use a copy of a paycheck/stub....just add a few extra zeros to the end of your salary. ahahahahaha

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks!
    Now I just need proof I'm a teacher.....

(Brand new so I don't even have a check stub yet!)

19. Teacher807

Teacher807 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I have the same problem....No proof that I am a teacher. This is my first year, so no badge until pre-planning and no paycheck stub. Because I am a new teacher, I have a lot to laminate and a ton of stuff to buy, but yet I can't get any of the teacher deals.

20. WindyCityGal606

Jul 29, 2007

Paystub and your driver's liscense to verify?

21. WindyCityGal606

Jul 29, 2007

Letter of intent?

The guy told me "proof of being a teacher.."

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Paystub from the job I just quit??? They wouldn't know.

I really want to laminate all the card games I made.
    Who but a teacher would come in with all that teacher-y stuff? Oh yeah, I'm just a bum off the street, but will you please laminate ten thousand folders, some bullentin board stuff, and all of these flashcards???

I think the obvious teacher/classroom stuff we bring in should be a good ID ;)

23. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I was thinking the same thing - I have 60 folders ready to be laminated with my school name on them - would there be any other reason my name, 4th grade, and the school name would be on all of them? If I take proof, it will also be a pay stub from the job I quit because I switched counties!

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

Our name tags are collected at the end of each school year so I went hunting for some other proof (I thew out my old paycheck stubs last week!) I found the envelope with my school pictures from last year and it has a label with my name and title. I guess that's proof enough!

25. WindyCityGal606

Jul 30, 2007

What about your w2's from last year...just make a copy with your personal #'s whited-out.

Also, yes, take a pay stub from the job you quit...who cares...as long as it's a teacher pay stub.

A school photo with you in it would work I imagine...Call them.

Yes, I believe they will turn people away without proof because they need to keep the work manageable. It's going to be a touchy day, don't you think? I wouldn't want to give them a reason to turn me away. How about your tax exempt letter? Heck! You have a teaching certificate, don't you? Bring that!! I can't believe I didn't think of this right away. We all have a certificate!! LOL

26. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

According to the three stores I called in my geographic area, its EVERY thursday from AUgust 2 to Sept 9. Roll laminating only with NO trimming included. No limit, so your 30 posters... well, have 'em with ya and be prepared with your teaching certificate, pay stub, name tag, W-2 whatever for id.
    Wonder if an old pay stub as a substitute would work??? I don't have my own classroom as of yet either....

27. Rebecca128

Rebecca128 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I just called our OM and they confirmed that it is no limit, BUT there is a week turnaround period, I wouldn't get them back until Aug. 9 and that's when our Parent Orientation is and that's cutting it too close...oh well, it was a nice thought!

28. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Okay, I'm dumb, but what is "roll" laminating?

29. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

They have (more expensive) "pouch laminating which is like a clear folder made out of 2mm-4mm laminating film. Then they stick your item in the middle of it and seal it. This is usually used for smaller items, or items you want the really heavy stuff sealed in. They don't usually have anything larger that llx17. Most of the time its legal or letter size pouches. Its DEFINITEly more expensive.:eek:
    Roll laminating is a machine that's ~36" wide and on a heated roller. They feed your stuff into it as it rolls between the heating plates that seal it. You can get TONS of stuff done this way much cheaper, but I have ended up with stuff that was 13'=16' long :D :D :D
    Its up to you to cut around the individual items. If you have someone who knows what they are doing with the machine, you're good to go. (if you are a newbie at laminating, definitely have someone show you how!! ) Most OM people know what they are doing, so you should be ok. When you cut the pieces out be SURE to leave ~1/8 extra trim around the edges so it doesn't come unglued! IT can be a real mess trying to relaminate the stuff!!

30. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

You can always go the Staples route. Just be sure to tell them ROLL laminate (something like .60/foot) and NOT POUCH laminate which starts at $3 per pouch. ONE item per pouch!! and they don't have large sizes.

31. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for clearing that up! :) I guess roll laminating is the only kind I am familiar with. (Just didn't know the name!)

32. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

I didn't know it was roll laminated either... Learn something new everyday huh :)

33. Rebecca128

Rebecca128 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for the info! I may head to Staples tomorrow...:up:

34. kem

kem Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Me too-I have just been using a copy of my contract.

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

I should call them first. We'll see what happens.

36. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

HAHA! My principal just sent out an email to all staff telling them about the Office Max deal. He's pretty excited....saving lots of $$$ at the school site this way! (Actually, I went into the school on Saturday and laminated about 30' of stuff. Didn't know about this yet!)

37. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I called my Staples to see if they were going to do anything col like this for teachers-perhaps free copying (hey, it was worth asking!), and they said bring in the coupon, they'll match it. So you could get free laminating there too.

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

Staples doesn't ask for ID. They just say oh your a teacher I can tell. Only teachers buy those boarders LOL.

39. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I just called our Staples and was told since there isn't an Office Max within a 50 mile radius they will not match the deal. I was planning to see a friend this week, out of town anyway, so I'll cross my fingers that I can get my stuff back with a quick turn-around!

40. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

Just called them and we have it here in Texas too. Gotta run to school so I can get my stuff to take on Thursday!! Thanks for the information!!!!!!!!!!! I emailed all my teachers at my school.

41. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I just came back from Office Max and I am an OFFICE MAX GROUPIE!!!!!! I love them! I just got $46.00 worth of stuff laminated for FREE! I am so overwhelmed right now. I can't wait to go back to school next week and get everything else to bring back next Thursday.
    By the way, they did ask for i.d or proof that I was a teacher because they said that some coupons were mailed out to the wrong people so most likely, next Thursday, they will have to turn down lots of people. I am glad that I went in on the first day. I didn't have proof (obviously I haven't been reading the latest posts) but she did it anyway. :D There wasn't even a line!:woot: I bet alot of teachers don't even know about it. I'll be sure to send an email to my collegues tomorrow.

But can you believe how the price adds up???? $46.00 and I didn't even take alot the first time. I can imagine how much my next round will be....:2up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.