Free Kindle Books?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGrl7, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 9, 2012

I got a Kindle as a Christmas gift, and I really enjoy it, but I'm not one to pay for books so I'm certainly not one to pay for non-books! I've been using the live-brary in my area, but the selection is slim pickings. For instance, I was able to get "The Help" but now I'm looking for "Catching Fire" (sequel to "The Hunger Games") and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know of a place to download free kindle books? Even for a limited time period?

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 9, 2012

Have you checked your local library? Many libraries are now "checking out" kindle books.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 9, 2012

My local library participates in our county wide "live-brary" where you can check out kindle books online. Do you think going to the library would be different? I hadn't thought of that.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 9, 2012

There are also places such as lendle http://lendle.me/ that lets people lend books. You can also like pages on facebook that let readers know of free books.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2012

Go to the Amazon kindle discussion forum. Someone posts links every day that have free books. There are literally 200-300 free every day. They might not be the "big name" authors, but I've found some good ones. Just look for the posts that say the date and free books in the title.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2012

Oh, and you get there by going to the Kindle Books section of Amazon. Then click on discussion-it is under the search bar. I check the discussion forum every day. These are the books that amazon makes free for short amounts of time.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2012

There is a website I go to that lists books that are currently FREE on amazon. The price does not stay 0.00 forever so, you need to double check that the price is 0 before you purchase it. I've downloaded quite a few. There was 1 book so far that I started and just hated. But several have been good books. They held my interest, but I'm not expecting the book of the century either. I'm reading for fun.

So, look for websites that list free books beyond the classics.

Our library's e-book selection is slim pickens also. One book I got was waitlisted for 1 1/2 months. Problem is, you can't return the book if you finish it before the loan period is up. So, it takes longer to get the e-books that are waitlisted than regular books.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

If you have Amazon Prime- you can borrow 1 free book per month.

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

I love pixel of ink. It is a great resource for free books. I like them on Facebook and also get a daily email of free books. Let me know if you can't find them.

11. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Feb 12, 2012

This site is great, thanks for sharing.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure if I can post links yet, but look up Project Gutenberg. They have TONS of free e-books that are up because their copyrights have expired. It's a great way to get the classics.

It's also a great resource for schools.