Free field trips?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Tinsley81, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Hi,
    I'm teaching special ed summer school and I'm in need of some ideas! My reimbursement money is VERY little, so I'm trying to find some cheap if not free quick field trips to take the students on. I've booked a tour at the fire station and have been trying to contact the local animal shelter....and I'm drawing a blank on ideas! Maybe the public library?

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    T
    Students are K-2 with varying needs

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

Public library can be a great field trip. Also talk to local restaurants...sometimes they give the kids a quick tour & a treat.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2006

Local grocery store, walking trip to map the neighbourhood

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

Ice cream shops and bakeries are fun, too.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 11, 2006

Our state department of fish & wildlife has FREE programs. Ours has a mini-zoo with native plants and animals.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2006

Walmart gives tours (we got a cookie, juice and a balloon) and try a bank. We got a cake at a bakery. We got a discount at an ice cream parlour. I took my students to the grocery store and we went shopping (parent sends a list and money or ask other summer school teachers for a list and money and the students can pick up the money and deliver the groceries). You can do a scavenger hunt at the mall. Have a picnic at a park.

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I think when I was in kindergarten we went to the post office. It was really interesting. Also, I know I went on one to a hospital where they showed us different areas and helped us to understand the different jobs people have.

9. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

pet store?
    some pizza places will let kids make their own pizzas

10. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

animal shelter

during my student teaching instead of going to the animal shelter...they sent a worker and a dog to our school to talk about animal care...it was free...no bus fees, no lunches to drag around, no begging of parents to help...

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2006

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Chevy's both give free tours around here and they give the kids food, too. Also, our local health dept. comes and does a sun saftey thing at the school that is interesting.
    Other free things:
    grocery store (Whole Foods here does a fantastic job!)
    4H farm
    post office
    police station (sometimes will come and do a safety lesson at your school)
    airport
    Dept. of Agriculture (that's a really neat one!)
    Kim

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2006

check out fieldtripfactory.com If anything is close to, it will be free except transportation.

13. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Thanks everyone for their ideas! I'm working on some of them that will work for our area!

Thanks!

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

We went to our local landfil for free- they gave the kids pizza and paid for our busses as well. It was the best trip ever- and no cost!!!

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

If you have a group that trains Seeing Eye dogs or even one person with a Guide Dog they very often will come in for a demonstration. Also, therapy dogs.

16. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 15, 2006

You might also want to consider a dentist's office or an optomitrist (my son's pre-k class went to an optomitrist and they did a free mini-eye exam for the kids and gave them free little plastic sunglasses and talked about sun-eye protection). Also - my son had a dentist come to his school and they gave out tubes of toothpaste and free cards for the kids to get a complimentary exam or $20 off a cleaning.

I love the land-fill idea - you could also consider a recycling center. I know I would personally love to see how one of those places work.

Maybe a plant nursery?

Or a rock quarry (kids love big trucks) - and on that note maybe a local car mechanic would be willing to show the kids how a car's oil is changed.

Just some ideas....

~J

17. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I don't know if you could mark it as educational, but would work on social.behaivor skills-our local movie theater offers free kids movies on Tuesday and Thursdays. Includes popcorn and a drink. Can't hurt to look into. I think Toys R Us has a craft activity day too.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2006

I did the fieldtripfactory trip to a pet store. My kinders loved it! Before we went we collected returnable pop cans, in Michigan we get $0.10 a can. We collected enough to pay for the bus & buy a class hamster & everything we needed for him. It was a great experience.

19. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

free crafts

I think Michaels may have free activities/crafts, too, but I'm not sure. Has anyone mentioned the library? Sometimes they have crafts after story time.

20. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

local community radio station

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 20, 2006

I'm glad to know the fieldtripfactory trip to the pet store was a hit. Great idea to adopt a hamster. We adopted a frog at the zoo (but it stays there and we get a plaque and picture). I can only imagine the excitement if you get to take the animal back to class! :)

We wanted to do a trip to somewhere but only 25 students at a time and we had the whole grade level.

22. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

We just took a trip the Home Depot garden center. They talked to the kids about the care and types of plants and gave them an apron, woodworking planter kit, wildflower seeds, and live plants which we planted in a garden.

23. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

We took a field trip to the mall to Auntie Anne's Pretzels if you have one of those. They showed a video on the history of pretzels then let the kids make a pretzel, then fed them a pretzel and lemonade.

24. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Lowes Foods offers free grocery store tours that you can book online. It was a great tour for Kindergarten.....would also be good for grades 1, 2.

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 21, 2006

We have had people come to us who own tow trucks or construction type trucks, to give a demonstration and for the kids to ask questions. They love it, especially the boys!

26. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

I don't know if you are in an urban area or not, but why not an apple field? And then you can go back and make applesauce or have apple slices! Or a grape field, go back and have grape juice or raisins?