free brain exersizes in all areas of the brain or cheap brain exersizes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by slowthinker84, Mar 20, 2020.

1. slowthinker84

slowthinker84 New Member

Mar 20, 2020

Hi, there, new here. I couldn't find much information about this on the net so I came here to ask if anyone here knows as I thought it would be the right forum. I already asked in a physics or science forum but didn't get much input back except for playing slinky as a brain exercise, not sure what that does either for the brain. I am wanting to have my brain be in its best possible shape and balanced 100% in all areas because I figure if I do, it will be less difficult or be better able to preform tasks, Do my job, do exercise and master any skill I want to learn. Please not that I don't mean skills but rather what actually works that improves brain functions like increasing memory or what works based on peer review/science. I also don't mean anything based on theory and speculation. Does any of these brain exercises improve any brain functions? and what brain functions to they improve?

1. rubix cube 2. indian finger touching 3. playing mindcraft 4. the classic pc game called exiled 5. playing tetris 6. interpreting irrationality or irrational language

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Rookie

Mar 20, 2020

Coursera, edX, Kahn Academy, canvas.net, Udemy. Search for MOOC, Massive Open Online Courses.

There are lots of free classes out there in math, sciences, languages, programing. Some of those allow you to pay if you want a certificate. But no reason for most to bother really. Even if you already know the subject of the course, there is always a gem or two that's new. And there is the tendency to forget things you once knew, but don't through non-use.

My CTEL course claims that learning or knowing multiple languages helps stave off dementia.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

slowthinker84,

Luminosity ( https://www.lumosity.com/en/ ) is the most-used brain exercise site. It claims to increase your brain power, though I have no firsthand knowledge of that.

When my Dad was first diagnosed with memory issues and cognitive impairment (later he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's) we had him use Luminosity for a while. It did seem to help for a while, but of course, Alzheimer's eventually destroys parts of the brain that can't be repaired or rejuvenated. He enjoyed it at first, but as his disease progressed, he found it increasingly frustrating, so we stopped having him use it.

But you might want to give it a try. There are some free exercises and games you can access, but to fully use the program, it does have a cost. The average Lumosity price appears to have not been changed in a few years and remained at $14.95 per month, $6.95 per month if you subscribed for a whole year for a total of $83.40; $4.99 per month if you opted for the two-year commitment or a total of $119.76; and $299.95 for the lifetime subscription.

5. slowthinker84

slowthinker84 New Member

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for the fast responses and info. I forgot to add how or what can I do to maintain all my brain functions/areas at 100% at its full maximum or best shape it can be in once I have finished the brain exercises?

@calforniaRPCV

do you mean skills? or stuff that actually improves brain functions?

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Rookie

Mar 22, 2020

Skills vs improved brain functions...
    I'd have to say I'm no expert on the subject. I take it for granted, I assume, that there is an equivalence there somewhere. I've heard, I think I remember, that I get the impression that learning new skills improve brain function. If you are a mathematician, learn a language, or learn how to draw? If you are an artist, learn some physics? Go outside your mental comfort zone?

Have I put enough caveats, loaded up enough grains of salt to take with my dubious advice?

Yeah, can't claim I have any idea what I'm talking about