Fred Jones, Tools for Teaching

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by CanadianTeacher, Jan 10, 2006.

1. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 10, 2006

Has anyone taken one of these Fred Jones workshops before? My school is sending me (and they're paying!). I'm supposed to start next Monday. Just wondering what you thought if you already took it.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 10, 2006

A friend I graduated with took it and she said it was amazing!

4. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2006

We got the chance to go when I was still enrolled in my university. My professor is good friends with the Jones' family so she worked out a deal to let us go for 1 day of the workshop.

The information is FABULOUS. I only wish I had been teaching in my own classroom when I took the workshop so I could actually apply what I learned in the classroom immediately. Oh yes and of course I wish I had been able to attend the entire conference.

I'm certain you will enjoy it.....Fred Jones knows how to "work the room" and he will show you how to do the same! :D

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 10, 2006

I did not get to go to the workshop, but I did have a class in college that was based around this book. It was so wonderful. Part of the time we watched the videos from the workshop. I have recommended this book to others before. In fact it is sitting on my resource shelf in my classroom. Very helpful information.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 10, 2006

I am a Harry Wong fan myself - mostly because I took the workshops and implemented his "stuff" with great success. However, I did read the Fred Jones book and thought he had some excellent ideas as well. I think you will find it well worth your time.

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Feb 10, 2006

Well, I am about halfway through the workshop. Some of the stuff has been very good--common sense really, but if you aren't in the habit of applying those particular methods, it can be easy to forget about when you are 'in the moment' (i.e. a situation). I find that is the most difficult thing, since people tend to do what comes naturally to THEM in a stressful situation, and it can be difficult to remember to do things differently. This week I have been testing out one method in particular which I have to say isn't working for me. It's the "stay calm, move slowly, body language, eye contact, point your toes at your target" thing. I think that as a generally rule, his stuff does work, but with certain groups, there is just no hope. Next week we are looking at taking on more than one student at a time in different parts of the room, and I can't wait because this is a constant problem in a couple of my classes. I am sorry about the negativity that is about to show itself, but now I just have to vent a little, as it's been a trying week. Report cards are due in a couple of weeks, so I am working hard to make sure the students have every chance possible to get their work in to be marked and avoid failure. Instead, every other minute, I seem to be dealing with some idiotic student who doesn't care about his success and doesn't care about interfering with others' success, doesn't care about how he treats or affects others around him, especially and including his/her teachers. He/she welcomes getting kicked out, doesn't care about suspensions, detentions, notes home, etc..., the administration just can't keep up with the follow-up of these kids and so each day is a revolving door for me and them--same thing day in, day out. It's really wearing me down, and trying to hide that fact is wearing me down more. I have been using every tool at my disposal, from the stuff I've learned at the workshop, to sending good news postcards home to the students who are showing positive behaviour trends (hoping that this will earn me some respect as a good and fair teacher, by word of mouth). I honestly believe I am being supported as well as is possible by the administration, but I see no solutions and I just need to vent a bit. What helps me is the knowledge that I am gaining very valuable experience that will make me a stronger teacher in the long run, the fact that next year is a new year with new students (thank God!), I am getting a regular paycheque, and the fact that I really love where I work. However, I hate feeling like I am merely babysitting (no one takes this subject seriously, parents, kids, nor most staff--it's just prep relief). I love teaching, but I hate having to deal with these ignorant disrespectful students who are so difficult to see day after day, despite my efforts to be calm and professional to no end. Thank you, I feel better now! :D

8. Teacherpam

Teacherpam Rookie

Mar 5, 2006

I have the same problems. I can empathize with you. Parent conferences have not helped. Yes I have tried to use the Harry Wong and Fred Jones methods. I have decided some students you can't help and move on. Yes it is stressful. Just remember you are not alone.
    Teacher Pam

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 5, 2006

Thank you! Just hearing that I'm not crazy for feeling this way goes a long way. So survival mode it is, and hopefully a better situation in September...

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2006

Where can I learn more about these workshops... is there a website.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 11, 2006

I believe Fred Jones has a website. I'm sure if you google it it'll come up. Probably the same with Harry Wong.