Fred Jones Tools for Teaching, do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jun 18, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2010

I have some books in my Amazon cart and this is one of them. Do you recommend this for classroom management? If you do recommend it, can you tell me why? If there is a book that you like better or has been more helpful to you (I already have Wong) could you please post it. Thanks.

3. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 18, 2010

YES, i feel that this will shape me as a new teacher, very practical advice and procedures. I feel it is my better and easier to apply than Wong. But take my recommendation with a grain of salt because I haven't had my own class yet.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 18, 2010

Yes the book is worth it. I am a second-career teacher, entering my fifth year. I've read Wong (more than once), Fred's book (more than once). Fred's is easy to read, has real world examples, and great ways to handle various situations - and they work! (at least the ones I've tried.) I feel that reading all these various class management books, gives you a tool chest to work with. I don't know that very many of us will use 100% Wong or Jones, but having the various input definitely helped me find my path through the "class management" maze.

Some of the others I've read/re-read are:
    • Ron Clark's The Excellent 11: Qualities Teachers and Parents Use to Motivate, Inspire, and Educate Children (sequel to his Excellent 55...),
    • Dangerous Minds by LouAnne Johnson (the book upon which the movie is looselybased),
    • Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk, and
    • 101 Ways to Make Your Classroom Special by James D. Sutton, Ed.D.

Biggest pieces of advice on classroom management - be you, be consistent. If you don't accept late homework, for example, in one class, don't allow it in another. Ask your fellow teachers/administrators for advice too.

Good luck teaching! I love it - even though it is the most work I've ever done for the least amount of pay.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2010

I also recommend it. I read it over the summer and practiced the techniques throughout the summer. It really made a difference for me.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2010

I like it, too.

I found that Randy Sprick, Harry Wong, and Fred Jones have a lot of similar ideas, so their books work really well together.

7. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

IMO, Tools for Teaching is THE teaching book.

He focuses on the why and how to create the most efficiency in your classroom. It's similar to running your own business and getting the best bang for your buck.

I've read a lot of teacher books (upon recommendations from many different people) and no one gets it like Fred Jones.

It's straight-forward and concise, which is exactly what you need in a "teacher manual." Most other books I read are narrative by nature, so you have to read three pages and gleam what nuggets you can.

Fred Jones has short, punctual paragraphs and sub headings for EVERYTHING. It makes it very easy to navigate.

Most importantly, what he teaches is what GOOD teachers do. It's amazing how many great teachers (even on this forum) give examples of things that are straight from Fred Jones' book.

You can tell that Fred Jones writes about what WORKS, not about some theory with a thousand different references to sources you don't care about.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2010

I have the Fred Jones book. I have skimmed through it. This August one of his partners will be one of our guest speakers at our back to school professional development. Last year we had Randy Sprick.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2010

I also like LouAnne Johnson's Teaching Outside the Box and Doug Lemov's Teach Like a Champion.

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2010

I have found it very useful. It is easily adapted to other ideas. It is straight forward and clear.

11. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jun 19, 2010

I've read it and my current impression is that it's at least half of what was missing from the licensure program I went through. The only reservation I have about it is that it's very strictly behaviorist, assuming that lesson plans are based in imitation and ignoring character development. Adding in different styles of lessons is easy enough, but I would like also to see something about how to build students' character once their behavior is under control so that they'll also behave better for their next teacher.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

YES!! I plan to reread as I read it about 3 years ago.