Fred Jones PAT time

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mariah, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I recently took 3 day training for Fred Jones Tools for Teaching and am planning on implementing PAT time in my room this fall. I want to compile a list of ideas for PAT activities to keep in case I need something and draw a blank. Does anyone else use PAT time? And do you have any ideas for different PAT activities? Thanks!

3. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

what is PAT time?

4. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

It stands for Preferred Activity Time and it's part of Fred Jones' classroom management plan. It's time you gift to the students plus bonus time they earn, but the time is used for activities that they deem fun, but things you would still do in the classroom. A lot of the ideas I've seen so far are review games such as baseball and jeopardy, etc.

5. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

What do you teach?
    For math, chemistry and physics my favorite is "Pin the Tail on the Donkey." Make up and post on the overhead a problem such as the following:
    1) add 10 to your group number,
    2) multiply the result by 4,
    3) divide the new result by 2,
    4) subtract 20.
    When each group's blindfolded member has their blindfold on, turn on the overhead and randomly number the circles (the donkeys) on the board to correspond with the group numbers. Group no. 1 will direct their blind member to put the answer to the problem in the circle with number 1 above it. Similarly groups no. x will put the answer in the circle with no. x above it.
    After the all circles are completed show the students how to arrive at the answer which is 2g or 2 times their group number, i.e. [4(g+10)]/2 – 20 = [4g+40]/2 – 20 = 2g+20 – 20 = 2g.
    For me, pin the tail works better when there are two or more circles to be filled in. Also I like to change the size and shape of the donkeys. A partial reward can be arranged by having the blinded students sit in a column of seats that increase in distance from the board. The winning team gets to start their blinded person closer to the board for the next round.
    Warning: Pin the Tail gets loud as groups try to out-shout each other.

A quick simple guess and check game is good for computer, math and science classes. Just write down a number, keep it obscured from the class and take guesses around the room. Write down the guesses for all to see and put letter H or L after the guess. H means the guess is to high and L means it is to low. I like to take big numbers like 123456789 to practice place value and get a chuckle when the students get the answer. Sometimes after the game I have the class analyze how they finally got smart and learned to guess about half way between the last high and last low.

For my elementary reading classes and even in math and science classes I like to play a guess and check game to learn vocabulary. One group member (no.1 for example) chooses a word for members 2-4 to guess. It is sort of like hang-man, except the students guess the letters in order. Take the word CAT for example. The second group member might guess letter m for the first letter. Member no.1 checks saying “the first letter is before m.”
    Member no.2 guesses probably half way, say letter F and gets the check from member no.1….etc…

For physics, pin in the bottle is good with three ropes tied to 3 group members and one leader directing one member at a time to try to get the pin in the bottle. I like to use this game when teaching forces using vectors.

There’s a lot of games, but let me know what you teach and I might be able to give you more ideas specifically for your class.

6. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

There are a TON on them in the book Tools for Teaching and on the website. Do a search for PAT activities and you should find all you need.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

8. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

I teach first grade and I have all of the ideas from the site and book, plus a bunch that we came up with at training. But I just wondered if anyone had anything interesting! Thanks for the suggestions!

9. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Students can squander away their PAT

Students can squander away PAT as well as earn more. If they can learn quickly they can get a lot more time for activities. Teacher has to be involved in the activities, so don't plan on just letting the kids play while you grade papers.
    By the way, does anyone know if the Fred Jones' site still makes it easily possible to accidently have your real name come up on the discussion boards? It has been several years since I posted threads on the site because last time I did, it showed my full name as author. I immediately sent a message asking them to change it, but it stayed for at least a month later.