Freaking out?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Listlady, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Any of you starting to feel that pang of panic now that the school year is closing in?

I am in pre-freakout mode right now. I know that it's impossible to do every single thing I wanted to do, and I'm trying to force myself to prioritize a bit before I reach the full-blown panic, ha ha.

I make lots of lists--hence my user name, ha ha--and I really think that they help a lot when things are getting chaotic.

So, now that "back to school" is so close, what things on your "to do" list will you scrap, and what things are "must-do's?" And for those special few out there who are "listless," tell us how you do it! The panickers among us need your peace.

Hope you're having a great Saturday so far!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Are your lists about things you wanted to do this summer or things you want to get ready for school?

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

Normally I would hit some amount of panic... but for some reason I am not panicking. I guess most of all its all the questions. I transferred to a new school ( I was there a couple of years ago but in a prek assistant position now returning as a kindergarten teacher). So I have questions about EVERYTHING but trying to take it easy.

1. What is the new P gonna be like?
    2. What kind of things do I have in the classroom already?
    3. How many kids I will have, what will they be like?
    4. How will my specials/lunch schedule work?

Those are just a few of the questions I have. Trying to take it easy and pace myself... I'm anxious to get into my room and move things around and decorate etc. But we were told to wait until we have a meeting with our P... so therefore no list are being made as of yet... this is also year 4 for me so I'm a lot more easy going... now if it was year 1-3 I would be a list making machine!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

For 7 years, my summer was:
    - June - work on school stuff
    - July - enjoy my summer
    - August - work on school stuff

This summer:
    - June - no school stuff, moved and organized my mom into her new home
    - July - some PD stuff, vacation
    - August - ... starting to get worried!

I have done "big picture" school ideas this summer (e.g. helping revamp the first day of school with students). But, I have only spent 1 or 2 days on my classroom ideas. yikes!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

I probably should be more worried than I actually am....

I taught SS this year, so I've had little time to do the things I normally would before school begins. I have my room about halfway set up, 2 weeks before our first workday, so that's good. I'll go in once or twice more this week. I want to be pretty much done because half of my team will be brand-new to the school, and 2 of them are new teachers! I want to be available to help them if they need it.

Yesterday I finished my only summer project, my word wall. I didn't have a large enough one last year, and I paid for it. My kids were constantly needing help spelling words, and I found oftentimes they were refusing to use words because they couldn't spell them. So this year I went all-out and made a much better one. It runs across the wall (by the ceiling) nearly all the way around my room. It was a lot of work, but now I have the room to add unit words, by subject. For example, I can toss up cards for expanded form, producer, chrysalis, etc. and not run out of wall space. :cool:

7. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

YES - ListLady I am a step ahead of you and completely flipping out. Breathe! (That's to myself) I am like msMooreteaches also returning to a school I had been at before, but there have been HUGE changes and I am delighted to be there, but also terrified as last year at another school I was with a class 6 grades below. I'm planning to spend this weekend planning, but just also dealing with my FEARS and anxiety. Most of my fears are that I won't teach the students everything they need to know. Mind you, I've taught this before. ...ok (breath again) need to talk myself off this ledge. I have to remember that some of this anxiety is excitement about teaching what I love.

And on top of all this I really want to sneak off to the beach and read junky novels! ooooh. Maybe I'll do that next week as a reward for getting my planning done.

We can all do this! (The teaching I mean, not the beach - although you are all invited!) And when I goof up throughout the year I will post here and share it with all of you.

ok - one more cup of coffee and then planning begins.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

Yay CreativeMonster! I literally was on the job hunt all summer, interviews, resumes, following up to finally get a call back from a school that I student taught at and worked as an assistant for two years. There has been lots of changes there as well and now I'm truly looking forward to it. I don't mind starting over, but I'm anxious and ready to get all my school stuff out of my tiny storage room and into a classroom.

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 3, 2013

2 weeks left, and I get sadder by the day.

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Hmm....planning not happening. Had second cup of coffee...napped...Downloaded novel from amazon...planning lunch...feeling exhausted. Body telling me to take today off and enjoy last of vacation. This is difficult. I'll see how I feel after lunch. Just want to eat and sleep and wake up to all of my lessons planned out! keep catching myself web surfing in the name of lesson planning. Add slow down and relax to my list, just so I can check it off!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2013

I'm always afraid that I've forgotten to do some big majorly important thing that I will discover when it is too late. Of course, I've done this for 20 years. I haven't forgotten anything yet. I don't anticipate this will be the year I start . . . but I'm still double-checking everything.

I didn't do anything school-related at all this summer. Kids went home on May 17. I had three work days the week after school was out, and after that I did nothing for school until week before last when I went in to get my room ready. We had meetings all last week. Kids come Tuesday!

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

We still have a month left until the students come (although much less until meetings start), so I haven't entered FULL freakout mode yet. I also have't created a real to do list - it's all jumbled up in my head. I think I'm worried that once I create it I'll realize I can't accomplish it all! :lol: I have been working on creating a lot of stuff for my room, and I'm almost done with my shopping....But I have a LOT to do still. I just got back from a fun vacation to Chicago and St. Louis on Thursday, and now it's time to buckle down and get working!

Mostly I'm excited though...we're moving into a brand new building, and I can't WAIT to see it!!

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

Ha ha! Me too!!!

14. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Aug 3, 2013

poof

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I am at the point where I have so much to do that I pretty much have to do (or really want to do because it will save lots of time in the long run) and I don't know how I will get it done. I made a prioritized list and am going down the list as fast as I can, but won't make it through the whole list.

The list is 2 pages long.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Now that August is here, I do need to get the list that's in my head onto paper and get going on it so that I don't get into panic mode.

17. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

I'm going into my second year so this was my first summer off and I think I've had school in the back of my brain almost the whole time. I like working and once I finished my traveling I was bored and ready to get back in the classroom. I even volunteered in my boyfriends school for a week (including the weekend) to get his classroom up and running again. My plan had been to go back August 1st and I thought that would be really early but now I'm panicking that I wont have enough time to do what I want! Will I ever learn to relax during the summer?

18. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I'm kinda freaking out. I am teaching summer school for the next two weeks, so that severely cuts into my planning time! On the plus side, it will give me some time to be in my classroom and start reorganizing/decorating. My classroommate is coming in on Monday so we can talk about how we want the room to look.

Otherwise, I have SO much more to do. I really need to buckle down...I think I'm in denial :lol:

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

Maybe slightly. Primarily because I know how busy the school year is, and just imagining myself in my classroom setting up makes me tired. Then, getting ready for my meeting with the parents, then a few weeks later, back-to-school Night. Not to mention the intensity of trying to train my kids at the beginning (oh my gosh, it just takes so much work to get them to be a real class)............I think I am ready to go back to bed after thinking about all that.

20. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

This will be my first year and I'm "freaked out" about not knowing what I should be freaked out about in the first place! I know that as we get closer to the first day my freak out level would have increased. Until then, I'm ok.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 4, 2013

I'm in the first stages of full-blown panic mode.

I've worked on my new room, but still have tons to do:
    • Paint wall with peeling paint (done by sub-standard custodians)
    • re-touch the lockers (painted by me)
    • clean out the storage closet in my OLD room, toss or give away what I no longer need & move the rest to my NEW room
    • print, laminate, & cut out about 20 sets of task cards for 3rd grade
    • determine which Kagan structures I will use first
    • write parent letter for Edmodo (we have a couple of examples, but are expected to write our own)
    • have custodians move computers into my new room (I now have none)
    • open up & blow out (with compressed air) the computers once they bring them - they are usually filthy! (they can blow up or catch fire!)
    • arrange the desks & other furniture
    • set up computer equipment (my hubby is going to school with me tomorrow to help set up my cabling :) )
    • plan
    • plan
    • plan

My main problem is that our district elementary math supervisor has been promising a (required) pacing guide for over 2 months now, and we don't have it yet! Of course, the state is providing nothing, and our district has decided that grades 3-5 will no longer have math texts. I'm okay with that, but if you are going to require me to follow something (pacing guide), then give it to me!!!

Things I have already done:
    • I already have my classroom handbook printed - just have to put the pages together & staple them.
    • Student information sheets are already printed out
    • List of procedures I will teach is done & approved by P
    • photo/video permission slips are printed
    • created templates for grades 1-5 to use for lesson plans (common core + state standards)
    • cataloged entire classroom library (over 500 titles)
    • bulletin boards are ready to go - I only have background material & borders up when the kids come in - we'll fill them up together
    • our other 3rd grade teacher and I have been semi-planning (without a pacing guide, it's difficult), and have approval from our P to review for a few weeks, because literally half of our incoming 3rd graders will be at approximately beginning 2nd grade level
    • purchased all supplies that I want the kids to have (1/2 my students won't bring any, others will bring some, a few will bring exactly what I want them to have)

I know I have a lot done, but man, do I have a lot to go! :woot:

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

Listlady,

You can see you are not alone. I would suggest putting down the 3 things that are most important that you need to do. Then do the one of the 3 that you want to do least first and do it right away. After you are done with that, the other 2 won't seem so bad.

I know it is a lot, but realize all of our to-do lists never get done, but what is most important can always get done.

Good luck to you. :)

23. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I'm having anxiety. Dealing with parents, students, administration, and other crazy things is making me have a panic attack. *cries*
    As for my list, I'm about done. A couple more things I'm going to get when the school gives us the extra $200 next month. As of right now, I am basically done.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 4, 2013

Now I'm in complete panic mode, including pounding heart rate! The district finally put the pacing guide up for 3rd grade math this weekend, and my kiddos (who have never done multiplication OR division) are expected to do both multiplication and division fluently within 100 within the first FIVE WEEKS! Ugh!

25. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Definitely in panic mode. Life intervened this summer, and I finally got my June work done this weekend! I go back a week from tomorrow. My room is mostly done - still have to make skirts for my tables and then soak with fire retardant - if we still have enough in the building. Have to put up a few inspirational posters. Won't be able to make class lists till next week when we have a better idea of who has registered. Written list? Not usually. I am FAR behind with planning. GOt first two weeks done and copies made. Beyond that - nothing; just a general idea. I'm not sure what I want to do! AGGGGHHHH!

That said, I usually pull it together in the pre-service week. A lot swishes around my brain (and dreams, nightmares) during the summer and I can usually put it all together.

New room, new students, new reading class I haven't done before... Should be a good year! Good luck to all of you too.

26. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 5, 2013

My freakout hasn't progressed any--if anything it's a little more mild, ha ha. I went to school yesterday with my hubby and got more stuff organized. That made me feel better--at least all the furniture is where it's supposed to be, etc. I won't have all my student desks until the day before school starts, though.

I have to go tomorrow for a test review, etc., with some students, so I wanted my room to be half way decent. I still need to hang posters, organize desk drawers, and sort through mountains of papers, but it's at least presentable.

Finally made myself schedule some doctor appointments (just check ups and such). Nice that I waited so long that first appointments available aren't until AFTER school starts. Ugh. So typical, ha ha.

I did get lucky and get a dentist appointment TODAY for a cleaning, etc.

Even though I know I should be spending more time on actual plans, assignments, etc., I feel that my distractions lately (doing an artsy project for my classroom wall and, um, naps--my favorite thing ever) have been good for me. The other--important--stuff will get done. I have no choice. If I don't make time for the fun stuff, it's not going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still freaking out--that's just my nature. I'm just aware of the bright side, ha ha.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

I am a nap gal myself. During the school year, I nap everyday right after school for two hours (yes, I take LONG naps...).

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

This. I'm not panicking/worried, just sad to see the summer end.:(

Honestly, I will get my classroom and the necessary stuff ready for the first week of school (which starts Aug. 26) then just ride that first week out until Labor Day, when I finally sit down and do some real planning.