Freaking out

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Beazly, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

I have an interview on Monday and am starting to panic. I haven't had my own classroom in two years; I've been subbing for that time.
    The interview itself is a nerve wracking experience, but I've been asked to teach a mock lesson to admin. for twenty minutes on summarizing a text. I can't begin to do this in twenty minutes...unless I am completely missing the mark? Can this be done? Help!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

Absolutely...just do a mini lesson and then say, "and then I would have the students do _________ activity independently" (or in groups, partners, whatever you choose).

4. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

Thank you Waterfall. That makes sense. Sometimes I make things way more difficult than they need to be.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 3, 2012

I'm not sure I would do that because I would think they want to see a complete lesson.

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 3, 2012

I think it's fine to say, "At this point, the students would each write a three-sentence summary of the example text on the overhead."

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2012

I teach with a workshop philosophy...a mini lesson is about ten minutes, a few minutes for a 'give it a try' guided practice with whole group.....you could spend the rest of the time as waterfall suggested...tell what student work would be, share any graphic organizers or response sheets you'd use, then demo the wrap up.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2012

I agree with czacza's plan. They don't need to see the students complete the work in the 20 minute lesson. They want to see how you would introduce a topic, teach, lead the students through a topic.

I would also type up your lesson plan to provide for the staff that is observing.

9. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

I agree. In my experience, admin dies not need to see an entire lesson. Rather, they want to know what you would do after the mini lesson, etc. good luck! There are tons of text summarizing ideas on pinterest.

10. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Jun 3, 2012

I appreciate the responses. Is it reasonable to assume I will have access to a whiteboard, overhead projector etc?