freaking out .. help plz

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Sep 4, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 4, 2007

I need some advice on how people start class, whether or not a bell-ringer is involved and if the kids know to get started before the bell or not, and if you generally write an outline of the daily activities on the board. Having done the outline thing and the bell-ringer thing during student teaching, I'm not sure I want to go there. It just seemed like a lot of extra work, when in fact I could just pull out my lesson book and begin the lesson at the sound of the bell. What does everyone think? Also, must the teacher verbally state everything in the plan at the start of class or is it okay to just begin the lesson badabingbadaboom? Please help!!!!!!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2007

Well, it is usually a good idea to activate required prior knowledge before starting into new material. This is what I use bell-ringers for when teaching math. The problems presented are concepts and skills already taught and presumably mastered that are critical to today's lesson. If most of the class does well, then we just move on. If many had a problem, it is time to reteach before moving on.

Bell-ringers also have another practical aspect. I check attendance and homework while the students are working on them.

Sometimes it takes some prodding to get the students started, though.

Agenda goes on the board so students know what they need to do at the start of class and what will be coming. We also list the state content standards, but that is really for administrators.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

Tell me again: what grade do you teach?

The things I do with my HS kids are far different than my son's 4th grade teacher does.

5. weno88

weno88 Companion

Sep 4, 2007

After the bellringer we review the alphabet and all of the vocabulary we have learned so far this week. Then we start the new lesson. I try to connect the review to the new lesson somehow.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 4, 2007

I have an agenda up on the overhead every morning. My students come in, open up their assignment books to be checked. To ease them into the day I have them write in their Writer's Notebook for 15-20 minutes. I either give a prompt or they free write. Then we ususally do a timed math test.

7. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Sep 5, 2007

My district requires all of its high school teachers to provide "bell ringers" for each and every class, regardless of discipline. We are also required to both post and state our student learning objectives at the beginning of every class. Students come in, and they are expected to immediately begin working on the bell ringer quietly for about 5 minutes. Then I introduce the objectives for the day and go over the bell work. I grade them for their participation in the bellwork so most students come in and get right to work. It's easy points for them.

8. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 5, 2007

ok thanks everyone SO MUCH for the help! I'm so grateful!!

I've actually decided (after WAY too much thought & consideration) not to post an agenda unless the students continually rear off track. I just prefer to look at my personal outline. However, I will have them complete a bellringer/starter activity each day before the lesson!