Freaking out about this!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Manders670, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Manders670

Manders670 New Member

Jul 15, 2008

Here is a little background: I graduated school in Dec of 2005. For the 2006-2007 school year I worked as a special education intructional assistant. I have been working as a CNA and a Child Care Teacher since then (and am still working right now. I will have a week and a half off before I start). For this coming year I have finally found a job-I have signed the contract, sent in all of my paper work and know that I start August 4th with the students returning August 13th. I have no clue what I will be teaching. With the exception that it will be a special education position. When I interview there was a
    5th grade (I am not certified for) and a 3/4th grade position (only certified to 3rd grade). In my contract it said I would not know until my first day when they have recived all my recomendations ect.

I would like to get a prepared as possiable as I already feel completely stressed out and am worried that I of all things have forgotten how to teach, that I am going to be horriable at this. Right now I am reading the First Year Teachers Survival Guide by Julie G Thompson. And Then have Teaching with Love and Logic to read after (mainly because I have wanted to read that for a while)

Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance for your help in keeping me sane.:eek:

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 15, 2008

I'm reading the First Year..., too, and I think it's great. Another good one is The First Six Weeks of School.

I don't have a whole lot of extra advice, but good luck :) Become good friends with the other teachers!

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

That happened to me a few years ago. In fact, I didn't even know what school I'd be in. You will have a few days before kids to get ready. In the meantime, just plan for what you are certified for...are you pull-out, resource room, or self-contained?

5. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 15, 2008

In all honesty, I haven't found any reading materials that have given me an accurate view of how special ed works. But, I still read all of those books too and I continue to read everything I can get my hands on hoping that this one will have the answers.... If I were you, I would do what you can for the area that you're qualified in but don't be surprised if the school tries to slip you in a different position while you work on getting certified for that area. For example, my cousin is certified for level one (mild disabilities) elementary special ed. Her district has assigned her a high school position for students with severe to profound disabilities. Same thing with another elementary teacher friend. She's now teaching high school special ed math. Good luck and know that there are many of us out there that can relate. I just learned that I'm not going to be working with my wonderful K-2 kiddos that I spent all summer preparing for. I'm now a junior high special ed teacher for math and science, probably the areas that I am least qualified to teach. Math and I don't get along....

6. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

rchlkay, I used to be afraid of teaching math. I'm about to start my third year as a special ed math para, and I'm much more comfortable with it than I used to be.

Now, my fear is working with reading when I get my EC-4 degree next year. I just need a little more experience with it, and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I think.

Same goes for your situation. You may find that jr. high math isn't as bad as you think. When dealing with special ed math, however, be prepared for a lot of different levels of ability in the same classroom. It can be a struggle to get them all taught, but that's what people like me (paras) are for...we help out!

Anyhow, good luck!

Manders, I'm like rchlkay....be prepared to be put in an area where you'll have to get certified. Sounds to me like they're already thinking along those lines, since you are only certified through the 3rd grade. They'll put you where you're needed most, not just where you're certified. You have time to get certified, and I think that's what they're looking at.