Freakin' out, man!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by modgirl, Jul 31, 2007.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I was hoping that my multiple subject authorization would process in time so that I could teach at a public elementary school. Turns out that CCTC is still working on applications from April!!! There is no way that my ms credential will be processed in time to teach in sept.

I've applied to about 5 private christian schools ( some of them pretty far) & they pay about half of what i'd make at a public. Despite paying less, they seem to seek out very experienced teachers (this would be my first year teaching). All the principals seem to be on vacation as well....

I feel discouraged....I don't know what more I can do. I've had three interviews and I feel like I'm at the mercy of the schools.:(

I feel stressed and worried that I won't find a job.

3. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Don't get discouraged. If nothing comes up right now you could do subbing. I have a bazzillion cousins who teach and quite a few of them got very good jobs after school had already started. Teachers quit, get sick, or schools end up needing more than what they originally contracted for.

Good luck and don't dispair, you will get something.

4. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Don't give up on the public jobs yet - if you find a district that still has openings this late in the summer, chances are they will work with you on the credentialing process! I worked in CA last year and the district hired me while my credentials were still processing (many districts have a temporary contract to use for this purpose). You'll have to prove to the districts that you are really eligble for the credential and that it is being processed.

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Did your credential program give you a C-19 letter? I got one that said I was eligible for a MS credential and that my paperwork was being processed. None of the districts I applied to questioned it.

6. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I already have a single subject credential, but I want to teach elementary, so I passed a literacy class, the cset ms & rica to add an authorization for the supplementary multiple subjects credential. I did not go through a credential program to add on this on, so it takes longer to process I guess.

Maybe I should still look into public schools, despite that it might take 2-3 months for the authorization to process??

Thank you very much for the encouragement!!!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

You just need a letter stating that your credential is being processed. You may be surprised to know that only one or two people do the credentials. Call the department, ask about yours. If they are not done, ask for a letter. But also confirm your address etc, I didn't get my first one right away becuase they had the wrong address, when I took a test to add another credential, well I called again and they rushed mine through. Good luck, start dialing......:)

8. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I received an email saying that they've received my application, but says "This email does not verify academic or professional fitness eligibility for certification and should not be used as such for employment purposes."

The FAQS on the cctc website also says:
    Please keep in mind that the same staff that answers email and telephone calls processes applications. Please wait until the recommended time has passed before contacting us. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Staff cannot search for pending applications or process applications out of order.

I don't know if they'd be willing to write me a letter because it says that they cant search for applications or process them out of order. I guess in 2 days at least it'll say that another application is processing, but I don't know if it will specifically say that it is a multiple subjects authorization. I'm guess that it won't say it.

9. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Have you looked into whether they do rush processing after an offer has been made? Many states will put you on the top of the stack if the district writes a letter to the board asking for it.

10. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Does this mean if a school chooses to hire me, they can request that the district ask that the application can be processed sooner?

I hope the public schools are very desperate for teachers, so that this might be the case!

Thanks for the tip.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

You'll be fine. Everyone in California education knows that the CCTC takes forever to process certifications. My pet theory is that they throw them all in a pile and randomly pull applications out and process them if they feel like it. I got my multiple subject in a couple of weeks, but my single subject took months and months. I'm middle school, so to teach what I really want, I needed the single subject.

Schools interested in you can go to the CCTC's website and look you up. When you're hired, they'll just want you to bring the certificate to the school district as soon as you get it.

12. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am thinking that it might take a month or two just to have my credential appear online? My "application received" email said that it might take 48 hours for it to appear online that my application is processing.

Thanks for the heads up though! Perhaps I will still give public schools a shot!:up:

13. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

modgirl all they need to see is that it is processing. Thinking back, I didn't even get a C-19 letter for a while. I typed up a letter explaining what was going on and would send that to schools.

Have you signed up for EdJoin yet?

14. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

No, I haven't signed up for EdJoin yet. I have looked at job listings & I think a lot of the teaching positions are not listed on there.

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

Really? What makes you think that? Several school districts in my area only list their openings on EdJoin and won't take paper applications any more.

16. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for your help! I know that many schools do have listings, it can't be possible that a huge district such as LAUSD would not have any elementary vacancies, but the last time I checked, it did not "officially" post any. It seems like a lot of jobs seem to be word of mouth, or all about connections. I know that my friend got a job through edjoin last year, which was a smaller district I believe.

17. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Yes. That is how it works here. If you get hired...the principal can fax the board of ed and ask that your license be speed processed.

18. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 31, 2007

My credential from CCTC only took about 2.5 weeks. This was last month.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

California universities are required to submit credential recommendations on-line now. No need for a C-19 letter anymore. They just send you an e-mail when the data has been uploaded and you pay the fee on-line. I got my credential less than two weeks after I paid the fee.

If you submit a paper application, it still takes a long time, but at least not as long as a year ago. The hiring district can get you a temporary permit that allows you to work and be paid until a decision is made on your credential.

20. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I went the same route as you to a Multiple Subject credential (adding to my single subject). The district kept trying to argue that it wasn't valid since I didn't go through a university program - so I printed the checklist from the CCTC website that shows the procedures and attached all my proof of completion for each item to back it up. (The county understood this process and had to explain it to my district.) It took about 4 months(!) for my credential to arrive. Once it's accepted it's usually posted online around the same time it arrives at your door. Hopefully the districts you're looking into will be a little more familiar with the additional endorsement process. They know that in CA there is no way to speed up the CCTC, but you may have to keep insisting that you don't require a C-19 letter. EdJoin is a good place to start looking for openings, but also search the district websites (and even listings in the newspapers). Best of luck!!!