fraction games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by PinkLily, May 24, 2007.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

May 24, 2007

I need some fraction games to put in my Math centres next week. I teach grade 3 and we have begun discussing equivalent fractions. Some get it, others are still a bit confused. Any suggestions on games/activities that the kids could do to work on this concept? Thanks in advance.

3. njteach

njteach Rookie

May 25, 2007

Here's a sight I found that might help. I think it is wanting you to purchase the games, but I think the ideas are pretty simple, and you should be able to make them yourself.

A friend of mine had a math fraction center that was terrific. I don't remember the whole thing, but I know she used an empty pizza box. She made a few cardboard pizzas. They were cut into 1/2s 1/4s, etc. The kids drew a card that told them what to do. For example, some cards would just say "1/2" and they had to make a pizza that was in halves. Other cards were story problems that said, "Joe, Bill, Mary, and Sue wanted to order a pizza. Joe wanted mushroom, Bill wanted plain cheese, Mary wanted pepperoni and Sue wanted sausage. Show how they can order a pizza they all will like." (just an example off the top of my head.)

Hope that helps!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 25, 2007

Fraction Kits
    Have the class make fraction kits and use them to play games. Use sentence strips to start with to make it easier on you.
    You can use them to play games in centers or have everyone play at the same time in pairs.

You can use blank dice and write each of the fractional parts on a face or you can write them on paper and have the kids draw them.
    game 1 - Cover Up: Have the kids start with the whole piece. The kids take turns rolling to place the pieces to cover up the whole piece. The final piece much match exactly.
    game 2 - Uncover: Each student begins with The whole piece covered with the two half pieces. Goal is to uncover the whole strip. Take turns rolling the cube or drawing cards. On each turn the kids can remove a piece if they have that size piece, exchange the piece they have for equivalent fractions (ex. have 1/2, roll 1/8, exchange the 1/2 piece for four 1/8 pieces) or pass their turn. You cannot exchange and remove a piece on the same turn.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 25, 2007

Scholastic has a clay activity using measuring spoons--students complete recipes to create a whole. I *think* it is in the Math Art book (which I sold from my collection a long time ago so I can't check on it). But anyway, an example might be:

1/2 tsp blue + ____ tsp red = 1 whole tsp _____

Students use fraction manipulatives to determine the missing fraction (1/2) and then use measuring spoons to actually combine the two types of clay and mix them.