Fox Boy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by countrygal, Oct 23, 2009.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

Today I was so proud of one of my students, lovingly known as Fox Boy ( after reading a story about a fox, he has become obsessed with them). He is a one of a kind child, who is so sweet,but often will act like a 2 year old. He entered my class on the first day, and after week one, I thought he was going to drive me crazy. He did not know his letters, sounds, or how to write his name. Add that to a speech problem, and teaching him is a lot of work. Today he tried his hardest on his spelling test. We had long a words. He focused his hardest trying to write every sound. After grading his test, I told him I was soooo proud of him for sounding out the word age. He wrote it aj, but that is an amazing accomplishment for him. He looked at me with his big eyes and said, "Did I make an A?" I didn't have the heart to tell him no ( the fact was he made a zero). I simply replied, " I can tell you tried your best." He seemed satisfied and sat down. Then during writing today, he had to describe a pumpkin. Now normally, I get the following ZASHDFKEJSLKSJALKSDJFLKDJKDFJKLSAKJS DFJEJWKSLKWOOOOFOX. Then he reads the most detailed imaginative story that he has written to me. Today he wrote Iseea ( I see a) pueesfthaslsldkaj. I was so proud that he wrote "I see a" and smiled from ear to ear. He quickly ran to show it to another first grade teacher. Tomorrow, fox boy may not be able to write I see a, but for today, he made his teacher extremely proud and even better was proud of himself. WAY TO GO FOX BOY!!!! :D

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

That is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

Countrygal, can totally relate to your story. I had one yours in my class!!!

Keep giving him positive feed back!!!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

awww, what a sweet story.

Last year I taught kinder. All year I worked so hard to get a couple of my kinder kids to write I see a... .I like a..... Just something simple like that. Finally, about a month before end of school, one of my little girls, who barely spoke all year, just started writing!! She wrote two legible sentences. I was so proud of her. Another student wrote one legible sentence!! :)

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

He is making the connection, and that is what it is all about.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 23, 2009

The sped advocate side of me thinks "hm, could he have spatial/dyslexic dysgraphia". The other side of me goes "awww"