Fourth graders written on for not meeting goal.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Nov 17, 2012.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 17, 2012

I think the teacher was doing her best to provide an incentive, but it was a bad idea all around, and when the students chose that incentive/punishment she should have used her veto power to tell them to create another one.

I can imagine very few parents who would be happy that their students came home with marks all over their skin, nevertheless their faces, and because of failing to meet their reading goals.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2012

I can't believe that a teacher would have allowed that incentive. During a brain storming session all ideas can be allowed, but before deciding on a final incentive that one should have automatically been vetoed.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 17, 2012

It reminds me of my sorority days. ;)

How in the world could a teacher think this was a good idea?:dizzy:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2012

Had the class just read 'Lord of the Flies' for their reading goal? :dizzy: this teacher was unprofessional, negligent, and irresponsible in allowing this.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2012

this teacher was unprofessional, negligent, and irresponsible in allowing this.

Exactly. This shows that teachers need to be the adults and not allow students to come up with consequences. This teacher allowed herself to do something incredibly wrong because 9 and 10 year olds came up with the idea. When students come up with ideas, the teacher must always be ready to use their veto power for the sake of the students.

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 17, 2012

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, this is ridiculous. :mellow:

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 17, 2012

This makes me really angry. That teacher has no business in the profession.

Not only should the struggling readers not be made to feel worse, but the kids who met their reading goals should absolutely not be taught that they are somehow better than those kids!

And why are kids being PUNISHED for not meeting an academic goal?! That sends a horrific message!!

My mom teaches a 4th grade intervention class entirely made up of kids who start at the year at a pre primer-2nd grade reading level. Her kids come to her with barely any self confidence because they are used to being "the slow ones" or whatever else. I can't imagine what this type of "consequence" would do to kids like that. :(

Just unreal.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2012

I have seen teachers fired for lesser offenses. I am appalled.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 17, 2012

On another note, why do I read the comments on these types of articles? More of the same - "This is why we homeschool!" "Public schools are evil/destroying civilization/ushering in the Apocalypse!" So tired of reading negative public perceptions caused by people like this teacher!!!

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2012

This teacher needs to be removed from the classroom.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 17, 2012

This teacher needs to have her license revoked and be fired.

If this is her best, I'd hate to see her worst. Sometimes trying one's best isn't good enough. Teachers need exceptional judgement. If they are lacking in that area, more problems will follow.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 17, 2012

Wow. That is ridiculous.

15. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2012

This is disgusting. Anyone who thinks this is okay should have their teaching license revoked.

This is what happens when you start judging and paying teachers for their students' test scores. I am starting to think I need to go into law. They ought to be glad, very glad, this was not MY child! I would probably be in jail.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2012

I am starting to think I need to go into law.

Yes, there are no ethical problems with any lawyers out there. (sarcasm) LOL

This teacher is the exception. Most teachers aren't like this. I really don't understand what this "teacher" was thinking when she did this. Unbelievable.

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2012

I meant I want to go into law so I can sue the pants off of people when they do things like this! Things like this are going to occur more and more with merit based pay.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 17, 2012

I'm not sure this teacher is the exception. I would say in the minority, but I've known many teachers to use humiliation in response to students not doing the right thing. This just took that practice to a much higher level and got other students involved.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2012

I'm so glad to say that I don't know or work with 'many' teachers who use humiliation as a means of classroom mgt.
    So sad for all the students involved here.:(

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 17, 2012

This is crazy. the teacher made so many mistakes, she shouldn't be allowed back in the classroom. Her choices clearly show that something is wrong with her thinking.
    She may have caused permanent damage in the self-esteem and attitude toward education of these students.

21. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2012

me too! I have known plenty of them, and some got pats on the back for having excellent classroom management. I have great classroom management and do it without yelling, ever!

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 17, 2012

OMG I'm a strict teacher but that is a HORRIBLE punishment!!! Why would a teacher think that action would EVER be okay?

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 18, 2012

I am just saddened by this. What a non effective way to encourage students to improve their reading.

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 18, 2012

You would think this teacher would know better... Say goodbye to your career in education. We talk about the kids making good choices. This was just, bad. It is a shame that testing and accountability have caused decent teachers to make these kinds of decisions.

25. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 18, 2012

Testing and accountablility didn't cause this teacher to make this decision. Poor judgement and lack of sense did.

We can't blame every poor decision on testing and accountability otherwise we are implying that teachers never had to be concerned about the level their students were reading because they were never accountable. Therefore they never had to motivate them. In my opinion, teachers always tried to motivate, but maybe that isn't the case.

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 18, 2012

So what should be done when students don't meet academic goals?

Why would the teacher think this action would be okay? That is the crux of the issue. Rather than demonizing the woman, I think we should try to determine WHY she would have thought this might be acceptable to do. There is no doubt the teacher used incredibly bad judgment, but we all have lapses in judgment at times, so looking at what led to that lapse can help all of us to avoid similar scenarios in the future.

In middle school, I see kids writing on themselves and classmates with markers every day. It is pure speculation, but I imagine it's possible the same thing happens at this school. If the students do it to each other already and don't get upset by it, then I can see why the teacher might not have foreseen just how bad this would turn out when it first came up. After all, the kids did agree to this being one of the possible consequences.

In reality, of course, she should have realized the potential damage this could cause, but she may have envisioned the kids just making a couple of small marks on the students faces rather than marking their entire face. That still doesn't make it a good idea or an acceptable consequence, but I can see how the teacher may not have realized just how BAD the idea was when it came up.

I had one girl in school this week that came in with marks all over her face, neck and both arms. This had obviously been done the night before outside of school, but the girl definitely seemed "ok" with it. I've also seen other kids (mainly boys) in 6th grade at my previous school regularly marking on themselves, their classmates, their clothing, etc.

I'm not condoning the consequence. Obviously it was a case of extremely poor judgment on the teacher's part. She should face consequences of her own, but I don't think those consequences should include losing her license.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2012

I teach grade 3... When I see kids write on themselves I Have them go wash. Writing on some one else? You've got to be kidding. There would be consequences. Encouraging that? Reprehensible.