Fourth graders staying organized

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

What kinds of tips do you give your fourth graders to stay organized?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

ROUTINE!!!
    I would say to have homework be done in a composition notebook, and their class work be done in composition notebooks that you color code the binding with markers. (All are the black and white covers) You close the books real tight and color the white showing so that when they peek into their desk they see the color they need.I use red for math, green for science, blue for socialstudies, and yellow for foreign language. Keep all the 'loose leaf paper' as community so that their desks dont have jumbles of stuff. I send home their graded work on fridays into their three ring notebooks that I store stacked on each other on a shelf. They should have no 'loose' work.
    I have a basket for all work to turn in and lots of morning routines with turning in their homework and after writing in their planners, turning those into the basket. I stick to schedule and every day I write the events that are going to unfold and discuss the day at a glance after we say the pledge to the flag and school pledge.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Sounds like a really nice idea. You're always an inspiration, Ruth. :) I may go for the looseleaf paper as community this year so the kids can always have the paper and nobody complains.

I have the baskets, too- and the "mailroom" mailboxes for them to turn in their work into one place and have it graded efficiently. I return the work to them paperclipped in their slot.

I don't let the kids use the beautiful cubbies because they cram them with everything possible. I learned my mistake last year- I tried to maintain this beautiful room, but the cubbies were horrific to an extent and made it look like I didn't care over there. Now I have the cubbies specifically marked for holding different supplies.

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

How do you manage your loof-leaf as a community supply? I have visions of the entire class racing to the paper bin for every assignment.