Fourth grader really behind on spelling

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by cali*teacher, Sep 22, 2010.

1. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Sep 22, 2010

Wanted to ask the experienced teachers for suggestions on how to work with a fourth grade child who is really behind with his spelling. What things would be good to do to work with him to help him. It seems he needs to go back over basic phonics, he's really lacking in making the connection between phonics sounds and his spelling. I also thought about working with sight words flash cards with him. What else should I do?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 22, 2010

Do a developmental spelling test. See what level of spelling he is at... it sounds like he might still be at the letter-sound stage. Once you can see what stage he is at, it will be easier to determine what to work on.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2010

What's his reading like? What's his handwriting and organization like?

Poor spelling, difficulty reading, messy handwriting and poor organizational skills are all signs of dyslexia.

5. corney

corney Companion

Sep 23, 2010

My daughter has all those issues and she had been tested and not found to not be dyslexic. She has been in a school system that doesn't focus on phonics but whole language, she can memorize words like miscellaneous and decision for her spelling tests but forgets how to spell them once the test is over..

6. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Sep 23, 2010

I feel strongly he needs to work on basic phonics, he has a poor time with sounding letter sounds out phonetically, i.e. e and i

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2010

Corney, who tested your daughter? If she's having problems with all of those things, she might need to have a tutor who can help her who's trained in something like orton gillingham.

Cali*teacher, focusing on phonics is fine, but if he's really dyslexic, he'll need multisensory tutoring like orton gillingham to learn the way he needs to learn. More of the same probably won't work if he indeed is dyslexic.

8. tortega

tortega Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

I'm currently doing a literature review for effective spelling instruction. A good article to read can be found on the ERIC site. (www.eric.ed.gov) search for ERIC #: ED365962 "Strategies for Poor Spellers" By Sipe, Rebecca Bowers. There are a lot of good studies but this article is short enough to be readable and consistent with what research shows to be effective. Good Luck!