fourth grade blogging??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suzzy123, Jul 8, 2008.

1. suzzy123

suzzy123 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Hi! I am thinking of having a blog for my fourth graders. Does anyone else do this? Any good tips for what to blog about? Any other suggestions for how to use this? I am open to all suggestions and concerns. I am not certain that this is something I truly want to use. :unsure:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

You could use it like a weekly newsletter and keep parents updated on classroom things.

You could have students write the content and then post it yourself.

Concerns- check to see if your district has a policy about the content that can be shared online. It's always a good idea to only use first names, and also a good idea to not connect names to faces in pictures. For example, use first names when talking about things in the classroom, but if you have a photo to go along with it, you might label it "4th Graders Get Into Math Games" or something like that.

If you don't know if you can keep up with it regularly, a classroom webpage might be another option.

4. suzzy123

suzzy123 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

You are right, and I plan to use the initial blog as a "class webpage" so to speak. I plan to have a link to discussion forums from the main page. I thought maybe I could do book reviews and maybe a science question for thought each week. Any other thoughts on the topic? I would really like for this to be a success and something my kids and parents both use.

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I'm going to assign a job called journalist every week. It will be that student's job to write up what goes on in the class everyday. Then I will post it to the blog and students can comment on it.

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I have posted about blogging on my Tech Tips for Teachers blog so you might want to check it out and see if there is anything useful there that you might be able to use.

7. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I started a blog for my 4th grade class last year. I received lots of good feedback from parents. Our school was very heavy on the homework so the main focus of my blog was to post daily assignments. I actually posted every weekday (which got to be a bit of a pain, even though it only took 5ish minutes.)

Other things I put on my blog included:
    *pictures (but not of students, due to privacy concerns--posted photos of class projects and art, etc)
    *links to fun academic games
    *links to websites that we are using for class research or as a curriculum focus
    *mini newsletters/updates of what the class is doing
    *weekly polls that the kids could vote on for fun (they loved this!)
    *calendar of important events/reminders

I used blogspot.com. I've heard that edu.blog is a good one, as well.

I've also seen teachers who have used their blogs as a way for student reporters to take turns writing daily updates of what's going on in school. I might try this next year.

8. suzzy123

suzzy123 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

You guys rock! Any other suggestions?? How about password protection? Is it good or bad?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

My students each have their own webpage on our classroom website. I will be asking each student to write a blip for it each week as part of their computer/typing time. It will need to be approved by me, as I'm the only one who can upload text onto the site. They may also post pictures if they wish. It will be based on the Roving Reporters that Mr. Cooley has created.

student pages: http://www.mrs.uppman.com/21.html

Roving Reporter: http://www.mrcoley.com/blog/index.htm

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

If you use classblogmeister.com, you can set up student accounts under your own blog and have them password protected. That's what I did when my students had their own blogs.