Four year old that bites!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by dcnuck, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Oct 12, 2007

I have a child in my class who when frustrated bites the child that is annoying him. I have put him in time out --talked to the parents who are not going to be any help--I can tell from their comments. So any other suggestions on how to get him to stop. I tell him big boys don't bite and we use our words when we don't like something someone else is doing. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 12, 2007

mouthguard?

:lol: Maybe there's something that he can bite when he gets frustrated? I can't think of anything off the top of my head... at least soon he'll be losing his teeth...

4. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Oct 12, 2007

I guess I could give him a knotted washcloth. I don't know but I don't usually catch him in time. He is a young four so it will be a while before he starts losing teeth. I can't stand biting or screaming either

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 12, 2007

give it to him to hold on to, take him aside and go over a scenario with him or something (depending on if he's developmentally ready... a young four may not be), tell him when he gets frustrated to chew that cloth.

6. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 19, 2007

I would not promote any biting behavior, even on a cloth. He is old enough to understand that biting isn't okay and he needs to use his words with his friends.

The child most likely just needs to be contacted a lot more than they are now. Children who bite, especially as old as 4, are usually doing it because life at home is really stressful and they need more attention.

For a while a teacher need to keep next to them. Keep an eye for possible aggression and prompt the child to use their words. When they bite someone say "When we do things to hurt our friends we need to play by ourselves for 2 minutes" put them somewhere away from the other children and give them a less preferred toy. After they've calmed down prompt them for "gentle hands" and they show you gentle hands by gently rubbing their hand on yours. Tell them "nice work showing me gentle hands!"

Give them LOTS of praise when they are playing appropriately and playing nicely with their friends.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I say document, document! In 12 years I have never had a 4 year old bite - it is not developmentally appropriate. Your concern I am sure is with the safety of the other children. If my child was being bitten at school I would be livid! If it continues have the director tell the parents they will have to pick up their child from school any time be bites. I bet they will do something then.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I'm shocked the other parents haven't been lined up your door!!!
    A kid who bites should not be in the same room with other children...shame on his parents and shame on your director.
    Sorry; just had to vent.

9. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 19, 2007

It's not the kids fault, this is a behavior that can be corrected with the right intervention. This child should have the same chances...its not his fault.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 20, 2007

This is would I would do. If possible, this child needs a shadow so that any attempts can be quickly thwarted. Then the shadow can deal with the situation immediately - discuss how the problem can be solved without biting. If the child does bite he needs to be removed from the situation immediately and given something else to do. Sometimes I have the biter hold an ice pack on the mark he/she made on his/her friend's body. This, again, needs to be closely supervised!!

Good luck - I have worked with 5 year olds and even one 7 year old who bit... it's not fun at any age!

11. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 20, 2007

I have a K boy who has bitten 4 times this year. He has been suspended in and out of school. He really didn't like ISS which was our last consequence. Out of school suspension was like a vacation and his overall behavior was worse when he came back.
    I try to stay close to him at all times. He sits by my desk by himself. He sits close to me during group time and I keep him near me in line.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

I totally agree with this! He is too old to bite. The only reasonable excuse would be if he has a mental disability, IMO. And even many or most mentally handicapped children even learn that it is not ok at this age.

I bit when I was young, I got bit back, stopped right away. Tough love, but we can't do that...too bad. Sounds like the parents coddle him and wont step up to stop the behavior.

As far as what I would do...document, like someone mentioned...it will come in handy for future reference if something more serious needs to happen. Tell the parents it is unacceptable and they HAVE to work with you on this issue...do NOT give them a choice...that must work with you. I would make a conference with them and tell them if something doesn't change them something more serious will eventually happen. Don't be afraid to be blunt, honest, and firm with the parents....usually ones that don't discipline their children need to be handled just as firm as the child.

13. Donsey

Donsey New Member

Aug 24, 2011

"A kid who bites should not be in the same room with other children...shame on his parents and shame on your director.
    Sorry; just had to vent. "

Disgraceful comments from some teachers... As for a mental disability... for goodness sake! Do some research!

Don't label. Yes, there would be huge concerns if this is a serial offender but this child and his parents need support not bloody shame. It can be a sign of stress and frustration. Emotional maturity and the ability to express themselves all play a part. Encourage the parents to see a doctor.
    Don't blame, support!

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 24, 2011

I have had several children who arrive here after they have been removed from other classrooms and school for biting at 3 and nearly 4. I do many of the things mentioned, make forms for referrals, work with parents, document, shadow and so on. However, I also make sure that we are eating A TON of crunchy foods. Carrots, apple slices with peels and celery and so on....CONSTANTLY. Then after snacks I tend to leave a bit of the crunchy stuff out so that the biter can find it if he "needs it".

I have never had the "biters" bite here.....but I have had an early biter try it out. Luckily he moved on.

15. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

I would look into completing a functional assessment for this child with your team and the parents.

16. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

If I have a child that bites, my tone of voice ensures that they know I am not happy about it and I give the person they have bitten lots and lots of attention.

I also tell them, "We bite apples, we don't bite people", or "there are nicer things to bite..."

I have to say, he is probably expressing himself out of frustration so it is a matter of giving him alternative positive and not harmful either to himself or others strategies to deal with this.

17. LillianPortland

LillianPortland New Member

Aug 26, 2011

I registerred myself on this site when I saw this 4 yr old boy biting thing... i am just a mom, but I did bite my 3 or 4 year old boy back (a couple years ago, forgot when exactly it was) and he never did that again. maybe your preschool does not allow this? another thing I do when my boys are not listen is to take away their favorite stuff or freedom. for example, my older one who is 6 and half now. He likes his ipad. if he hits his little brother then he can not use it for a week. maybe you can observe what this 4 year old boy really cares about? also I am curious about his parents' comments?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 26, 2011

How is his communication and social skills?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

This thread was launched in 2007, so the child is now about eight years old; I trust the biting issue has been resolved.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 26, 2011

LMBO! I never look at the date. :D

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

The several posts before yours have been in the last few days, so that doesn't surprise me. It's the first post after four years that always raises my eyebrows, though.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

No professionally regarded preK would condone an adult biting a child. Biting your own child, or anyone else's child, is abuse.:mad:

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

I didn't see the original date either! :dizzy:

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

Neither had the person to whom you replied, czacza, or so I infer.

25. manderine

manderine New Member

Nov 18, 2011

"Shame on his parents" I have a child (4yrs old)that peridically bites, not an everyday occurrence however happens once or twice a year. We find this very upsetting and unacceptable. He gets consequences such as time outs/removal from situations, removal of toys or priveleges and I process the situation with him. The most recent situation we sat down and worte a letter to the boy and wrote down feeling words that others must feel when he bites them. He is a child that was late learning how to express himself with words and has trouble with phoentic which make it difficult for others to understand him. However, a smart and energetic boy. I also work with behaviour children and those in conflict with the law so it is not fair to judge that child and/or his parents. Sometimes it is through no fault and just a child struggling to learn how to express himself and deal with a whirlwind of emotions. As parents and teachers we need to work together to support a child to learn along the way. Don't shame the parent or the child!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.