Four Interviews ...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by fishkafoon, Jul 6, 2010.

1. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

... and no home run. Wondering if I need to walk. :unsure:

3. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Don't give up! :D I had four interviews (and no offers.) I was starting to worry, and today I just got two more interviews!

----

I like your cover letter. Although, If you added a teaching experience/story, it might make the letter more personal.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 6, 2010

Make your cover letter more personable as suggested. I would make it read that you are flexible, have personality and are knowledgeable. Caring about kids is a no brainer - so make sure your letter show that you do. When the P reads your letter, he should hear your "voice". Check out the cover letters that others have posted so that you have some ideas. There are many out there if you do a search of the A to Z forums.

5. supermissf

supermissf Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Whoa! That letter is way too long, in my opinion. Get rid of the entire list of assessments; its unnecessary. Eliminate all of the statements about qualities you say you possess--provide statements instead with *evidence* as to how you possess these qualities, such as "I've achieved THIS, been awarded THAT, accomplished THIS, etc..." There is a lot of fluff in this letter. Be more concise. Make three good points, support them with evidence and let that in turn support you.

6. supermissf

supermissf Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

And definitely cut that "between the hours of 7 and 10" junk. That's a terrible no-brainer and sounds ridiculous.

7. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

ms. ...
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I may feel a bit downtrodden but too stubborn to let it get the best of me. :) Two interviews? Sounds like you're definitely doing something right. Please keep us up to date, okay?

SCTeachInTX ...
    I'm sitting here nodding in agreement. LoL! A to Z is definitely loaded with tons of awesome suggestions. I've been perusing to get an idea of how to make it my own.

supermissf ...
    More concise. It's a work in progress. :thumb:

Still revising but will post as soon as possible. Thank you! Anything else you may catch that I haven't, it's all good. I'm not one to get upset unless you pinch my chocolate. :p

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I think it needs a story too. Do you have a great story you could throw in, that would get across who you are as a teacher and the difference you have made to that student? I agree- too many facts, not enough story and not enough you!

9. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I feel like there's way too many I's

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

While working on revising it, keep in mind that your cover letter should provide info that your resume DOESN'T! Repeating a lot of the info that's on your resume will just take up space and not make you stand out. Please report your cover letter when its revised! (unless you already did and its in another thread...lol).

11. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

Gotcha, leighbball. Thinking that it makes it appear richer somehow. Repeating might make them think "oh, that's all she has ... nothing but filler."

My current job is definitely not education-related, so it's taken me a bit longer to revise the cover letter. Any major holiday places us in a tail-spin for that particular week. :dizzy:

However; I managed to finally get it revised. Feeling like that student who walks up to the teacher with crumpled homework in hand. :p

All constructive criticism is welcome. :)

**Removed cover letter due to changes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  12. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

My suggestions are in red.

13. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I appreciate you taking the time to look my cover letter over. Thank you, jwteacher. :)

I wrote the first paragraph in mind that it would have to be tailored to whatever position I was applying for. I simply had "Special Education position" as a filler.

As far as the rest of your kind suggestions, back to the drawing board for me. :eek:

14. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

...particular night. Mind you, I was teaching at a rural poverty-stricken school. John’s mother was the only parent who showed up. This would be a good story to bring up in the interview if they asked you about how you related the curriculum in a real world context, but it doesn't work for the cover letter. It is too long and somewhat irrelevant.

I have to admit a feeling of conflict. It's been suggested to make it more personal, giving it my voice, by sharing an experience/story.

Sending out an application tomorrow morning and this is the only portion left to polish. :eek:

15. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Third time's charm. :spitwater:

----------------

Removed cover letter due to changes made.

16. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

17. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

refined by jwteacher tutorial

Okay, here it is.

----------

There it went. :p

18. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

I broke apart your second paragraph with a few suggestions. It still seems too long and doesn't quite flow together (the sentences you attached after classroom management). If you could condense this more and work on the sentence structure, it will turn out well in the end!

Keep it up! I don't respond to very many cover letter help threads because people want quick fixes and don't want to go the extra mile to get it right. You, however, are persistent so I will do anything I can to help. :)

19. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I don't think you realize just how much I appreciate your time and effort to help me, jwteacher. Yes, I definitely want to get it right and there is a stubborn streak at least a mile long (my husband doesn't think that's always a positive trait but well, phooey on him). LoL! :)

Going to fine tune. :thumb:

20. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

Ha ha, in this job market, you're stubborn streak should pay dividends. You're welcome!

21. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

LoL! That would be reimbursement for all of the printer ink, envelopes, and paper used.

I did polish the cover letter. Took a bit longer than expected because my feet tend to swell after sitting for so long (had to get away from the personal confuser for a period of time). :blush:

Anyway, here it is.

--------------------

22. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

Excellent!!! If you were in school this cover letter would get an A because you clearly told them what you were seeking and what you could provide their district.

That is how you write a great cover letter! :thumb:

If there's anything else I forgot to mention, in the second to last paragraph where you would like "to arrange an interview", mention that you will followup with them to show that same determination and level of interest that you showed here!

Again, wonderful job! :2up:

23. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

It's wonderful because of your insight and sage advice, jwteacher. Thank you so very much! You are a true gem. Made note of the followup and placing you on my Christmas list. :D I was going to mail my packet but thinking they'll be seeing me come Monday. It's not very far from me, thankfully.

24. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

You're welcome! You're Christmas gift can be reporting to us that you signed that contract.

Good luck, and keep us up-to-date! :)

25. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I won't argue with that. LoL! I'll be sure to do so. :hugs: