Four days???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JaimeMarie, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Personally, I'd love it. My life is much saner when I have 3 days off each week.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 31, 2009

I agree. I would love to have a four day work week.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

Do you think it would be to hard for our students?

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

This topic's been brought up a couple of times. I would love that tremendously! I just wish they'd try it for even a year before they rule it out completely.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

That sounds like a good idea Ms. I.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2009

I know schools here in the UP did it. I don't know if they still do or not. I know it's been toyed with a lot!!!

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

I think it would create daycare havoc for a lot of working moms, and I would worry that a lot of kids would be left unsupervised because the parents can't afford or can't find one day a week of care.

For my own life, I would LOVE it. As someone else said, my life is much more controllable when we have a 3 day weekend.
    Kim

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

I would love it! I know it's hard to convince parents around here. We are a small, rural community and honestly, not having somewhere for the kids to be that 5th day is the main reason it wouldn't work.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

But if we had four day weeks than the school day would be longer and parents wouldn't have to pay for before and after care. So they would have money for Friday daycare.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

Many of our parents commute a long way to work and would still need before/after care. We live an hour from DC and a large amount of my families commute to/from DC on top of their normal workday. I can't imagine that they'd be able to lengthen the day more than an hour or so a day an still hold the kids' attention...even that would be a stretch.
    Kim

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

The talk here was I believe 4:30. So by the time they get home it would be between 5 and 5:30.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

It would save a lot of heating costs. The rooms wouldn't have to be cleaned as often, so it would save on custodial salaries.

But it would be a problem on several fronts;
    - the issue of childcare. An entire day off means you have to FIND, then PAY, a childcare provider for one day. Many providers would prefer a child who pays for all 5 days to one that comes once a week. So just finding the single day provider would be a huge issue for a lot of parents.

- After school sports would be a problem. As it is, there can be a freshman, JV and Varsity game after school each day. So there can be 2-3 games per week, with practice on the alternate days. Losing that extra time each day would mean that either practices go later (impacting on the amount of sleep the kids get) or get cancelled. I know it opens up Friday, but there's a limit to how many games a particular child can play on a given day. Besides, if you're opening up the gym on Friday, you're defeating part of the purpose of going to 4 days.

- Academically, the first day after a 3 day weekend tends to be less productive than a typical Monday. I know I never test right after a 3 day weekend; I try hard not to test on a Monday in general. As much as I would prefer it be otherwise, the kids do tend to forget the info.

15. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I would love it. I would be happier as I could get more things done at home and if the teacher is happier she does a better job. I don't think it would change our test scores much. One school did this during the high gas prices in our state. Our superintendent told us we would not.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 1, 2009

We have after care and before care that would be open on Fridays n our district. It's not located at the school but in the town hall. I was wondering about sports too.

And I so don't think I would like teaching extra long days. I think I would be exhausted! But our district has had so many budget cuts from the state I'm sure if the state says we can do four days ours will go for it. It would save on busing costs and heating costs (in the winter).

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 1, 2009

Personally I would love it too. I wouldn't mind the longer days and the 3 day weekends. From the parent standpoint there would be financial issues. From the kid's standpoint they would be tired and sports might be an issue. From the financial standpoint, the school would save money.

I am a parent who needs to consider the financial standpoint but at the same time I worry we are going to lose a lot of these things that help us out if we don't worry about how to save now. For example, technically busing is a luxury. It has nothing to do with actually teaching the child. Parents could be held responsible for that. I'm not advocating these cuts to hurt parents. I am one of them. I'm just saying that while parents DO need to be a consideration because of latch key situations, we have a bigger picture to consider. Kids need to still be getting their education. I would 100% support 4 day weeks over all these cuts in Kinder or over missing the specials classes.

Having said that, schools waste a lot of money in unnecessary places. Start there. Evaluate budgets and expenses before going to mass decisions that effect our very culture and effect everyone across the board. It makes me mad when we cut teacher's pay and consider these massive changes but there are so many areas that schools waste ridiculous money and that goes unchecked.

18. glen

glen Companion

Feb 1, 2009

If the day off was Monday, then the schools would not have to add as much time to the other school days. There are so many Mondays off anyway. I suppose that could be a contract issue, though.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

I am divided on this issue. I like the thought of a 4 day week, and honestly, since my children are grown, I don't even mind a longer work day. However, I would prefer that the teachers work the 5th day as a records day. I never have enough time to do all the data and record keeping that is required. I would even take a required half day on the 5th day! Without children present, I could get more work done, and have more time on the weekend to do my family life things. Honestly, that is what is killing me-on the weekend, I am still doing teacher stuff, and my family life suffers because of it.:2cents:

20. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I would love a 4 day work week. I would hate the extra hours in the day though, I think it would be hard for kids to pay attention that long which in turn could create a lot more behavior problems on a daily basis. As far as the childcare issue, a lot of teachers could "nanny" each Friday or Monday (whenever the extra day off was) for some extra $$ each month! I would love having another opportunity to make $$! As far as how parents would afford it, I don't know. I think there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to the whole idea and I don't think it'll happen. I haven't heard of it being in the works anywhere near me or places I've taught in the past.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

Extra hours PLUS Friday means the unions are going to demand more pay (for more hours)-- it's not going to save the money that the plan intends.

Of course, with that day free, teachers (well, at least those without small kids at home) would be able to get their record keeping done at home.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

Point taken on the extra pay. However,as far as record keeping at home, that is easier said than done. The sites I have to access for my record keeping must be done at school as I cannot access them from my home PC. My grade book is the least of my record keeping worries....

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

We do a 4 day week during summer school, and it is lovely! That being said, there is no way we'd ever go to a 4 day week during the regular school year! Our before and after care are in the schools, and without them being open on the 5th day, our students would have no place to go other than stay home alone -- which is a terrible idea. A study here showed that the demand for 1 day per week care, if we went to a 4 day week, would overwhelm our service providers and would mean the schools still had to be open on the 5th day, which totally defeats the purpose of a 4 day week! We'd still need heat, light, and custodial care.

Also, our after school program has 4-5 adults who care for around 40 students daily. Now imagine if even half of the childrne in our 650 student elementary school needed day care on the 5th day! There is no way we could handle 300 students!!! That would required a huge increase of staff (and off duty teachers cannot work in the afterschool daycare -- it is considered a conflict of interest.) Where would we get all of these qualified staff from, when we only have employment available for 1 day per week -- and it is the 1 day per week that stay-at-home moms would need to be home to care for their own kids.

In a big city, it just wouldn't work.

24. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2009

Seems to me that it is working out that way anyway- I don't think I've had a full work week since October. Crazy!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 1, 2009

haha so true.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 1, 2009

True, but only if daycare were an option. There's not one in my area. They have to depend on family members, neighbors, babysitters, or older siblings.

27. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

There was a 4-day week proposed here along with 3 other calendar options for our school system. The vote stated to go with our current balanced calendar but the 4-day week was 2nd place. This was before the state and federal cuts were determined. I think it still might possibly occur. I would much rather them go to a 4-day week than cut out all specials (which has been discussed) or to cut out most parapros (which has also been discussed to some extent) even though I personally don't have one, I benefit from them by not having to do lunch duty since they do.

28. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 1, 2009

I personally do not want any more time added to my work day. I have had TOO many days of meetings during my "planning" times that I have had no break from the kids. We do not have duty free lunch at my school. I think they need to look at where the money is going instead. My parents can't pay for additional childcare. Here we are under proration. No new hires, pink slipping all non-tenured, and cancelling a major state wide summer workshop for the next two years. This fall we expect our class sizes to increase and to have voluntary and involuntary transfers and grade level changes. I dread it. But at least I have a job, too many of my parents and others out there are struggling.:(

29. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

I teach in a high school on a block schedule, and I think my school could handle adding in a 6th black each day and going down to 4 days per week. I wonder about it working well in the elementary schools though. I know when my kids come home it can be a challenge to get the homework done, enjoy some after school activities and just have some family time. If we start all that an hour and a half later, I can see our evenings being very tough unless there was a big cut back in homework.

And if my kids went to 4 days and dh and I both stayed at 5 days, I haven't a clue who would watch them on that 5th day. As some people have already mentioned, opening up the school for child care would make the intended savings go way down, and finding people to work just one day a week would be tough as well.

So, would I enjoy a 4 day week - you bet! Do I think it's the best choice for students and families, not necessarily.

30. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

There is a school district in Oregon that is on a 4 day week. Students go longer on Mon.-Thurs, but teachers still work their regular contract hours (teacher contract time is now only about 10-15 minutes more than the student day). On Friday, teachers then have a planning day. I have heard pretty good things from a few parents and staff I know in that district.

31. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I know there is a school district here in Minnesota that went to a four day week this school year and from what I have heard from the union reps I have talked with as a student it is going very well and it is working awesome to save money for the district.