Four Blocks Literacy Model

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by runsw/scissors, Aug 30, 2007.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2007

Does anybody here use this? We sell quite a few books targeted for this program in the store, but my school doesn't use this officially. I don't think anyone in my building has even heard of it. Anyway, I found this book recently that is a month-by-month set of lessons and activities (phonics and vocabulary) for fifth graders. I asked my principal what she knew about the FBLM, and she couldn't help me either. I really like the lessons in this book and want to use them in my room, but 1) I don't really know what to expect in terms of results 2) I don't know how the kids (and parents) will react to something so different from their previous experience (more traditional) and 3) because of 1 don't know quite how to explain or justify this when questioned by parents. So I am turning to all my virtual collegues in the intermediate grades for help. I am always looking for ways to be a better and more effective teacher. This looks really good to me, but...

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 30, 2007

I use four blocks! It's just not exactly how it's supposed to be, I'm doing everything, just in different ways.

Writing - We have a writing workshop which is the same structure as four blocks
    Independent Reading - as part of our reading workshop
    Guided Reading - I do a minilesson whole group as part of our reading workshop, and small guided reading groups
    Working With Words - we do word wall and phonics through out the day, not in one block, which would be nice!

4. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

I used this with my second graders last year and have moved up with them to third grade. I love using it and can really tell that it makes a big difference! I had a struggling class last year and their growth was amazing! I would highly recommend it and the Working with Words block is a great break from the 'usual' spelling.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2007

I am only planning on doing the Working With Words this year. I don't know anything about the other blocks really.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 31, 2007

I use this model. I love it! I started with Working with Words, and gradually added in the other blocks: Guided Reading, Independent Reading, and I think Writing. I just love it. It helped me really focus when I was a new teacher.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 31, 2007

I love the 4 Blocks Model. We used to use it regularly and now just in bits and pieces since we have our other curriculum.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 2, 2007

My district is a Four Blocks District! I would pick up The Teacher's Guide to Four Blocks for the Upper Grades! I love the Four Blocks program and their teacher's guides will really give you a better feel for the program and how to use it effectively!