Four Block Literacy Model???

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TRIteach, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TRIteach

TRIteach New Member

Jul 1, 2008

I'm a first grade teacher, and I am thinking about implementing the Four Blocks Literacy Model in my classroom this year. Has anyone done this already? Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on how this has worked for them? Thanks :)

3. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I have only ever implemented the working with words block, and it works great with first graders! Sorry I can't help you out on the other blocks.

4. Bean728

Bean728 Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

My entire district utilizes this model. We have used it for the past eight years and I have always liked it! It makes a lot of sense! We have 6 blocks included in our district model now.

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

The four blocks is a great guide into how to organize your literacy block and touch on everything so the literacy time is balanced. I use it. It works fine. But I have a primary source as far as curriculum...I just use the blocks as ameans to organize my literacy day by day. They have very good ideas. I don't use it exclusively, but I pick and choose the things that work in my classroom...and it works well.

6. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 4, 2008

I have been using the four blocks for 3 years. I don't use it religiously, but more as a guide and planning tool. The four blocks has no time set aside for small group reading instruction, since their "Guided REading" is actually all group reading. Also I find that Patricia Cunningham's Month by Month PHonics is very helpful but needs to be supplemented. I wish I could get away from the traditional spelling lists, weekly spelling tests, but I have found that my students do much better when we have systematic spelling presentation. For that I use Zoophonics.

7. TRIteach

TRIteach New Member

Jul 7, 2008

Thank you all so much for your input!