Fountas and Pinnell Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by linzteach, Jun 28, 2005.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

Hello all!

I have been hired to teach a fourth/fifth split in the fall. I am considering purchasing the book Guided Readers and Writers Grades 3-6 by Fountas and Pinnell. As I'm sure you know, money can be tight, especially your first year, so....I was hoping that someone could give me insight about this particular book. Is it worth purchasing? What kinds of things are presented in the book? Does it tell you exactly how to set up a literacy program for your classroom? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Lindsay

3. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 28, 2005

Last year was my first year teaching and I LOVED this book. It covers all aspects of the language arts curriculum and is a wonderful resource. I used it all the time.

4. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 28, 2005

I borrowed this book from a professor for a project I did in my English Language Arts curriculum, instruction and assessment course, it's on my list of "must buys" when I graduate next year.

5. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

Yes, buy the book! It walks through everything, but on a technical basis. An easeir to read book is Still Learning to Read, but it does not do the techincal stuff as detailed. The Fountis and Pinell makes a great refrence while the Sibberson book is an easy read for understanding.

6. wilibald

wilibald New Member

Jun 28, 2005

I used this book briefly as a textbook/resource in my methods course last semester. A lot of class discussions surrounded some of the technical aspects presented in the book. Some ideas for lesson also came from the book. However, because of the nature of the course, I didn't get a chance to critically examine it. I'm starting to regret selling it back, after reading all the wonderful comments about it.

Instead, I referred to more often was Journeys: The Teaching of Writing in Elementary Classrooms by Carolyn Piazza. As the title suggests, it focuses on writing, but it covers many different genres.

7. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

Thanks!

Thank you for all of you input. After reading everyone's comments, I am definitely buying the book. Thanks again!

Lindsay