Found Some Kitties

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by horned_Frog89, Oct 21, 2013.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Oct 21, 2013

So I was in Oklahoma all weekend for vacation and when we got back home there were two Kittens meowing like crazy from under our shed. They eventually came out and I'd say they're about 3-4 weeks. Not skiddish they will walk towards me and try to follow me and they seem healthy - strong meow, and they walk well for wobbly kittens.

In the few hours I was checking on them, I never saw momma cat - I haven't seen any cats around the neighborhood for quite sometime so I don't know if it's a pet litter or feral litter (either way, they can be fostered and adopted out - they're so friendly!)

I've contacted a rescue but they're full. I can't take them to the shelter because they'll be euthinized (They're not weaned).

I thought about seeing if I could find traces of a momma cat, I figure if she's around then that's their best chance at survival. They're in a safe place for now - I have no other pets and they're to the side of the house in a wooden fenced backyard and they stay under the shed. It's blocked from the wind.

I'm just worried about them NOT getting food if their momma has left them.

Any advice?:thanks:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2013

I am sure they're precious. I'm glad you are there to care for them.

I've successfully fed motherless kittens at four weeks a combo of milk replacement and a bit of soft food. It's been a long time ago, so I bet Google could provide sound advice.

Best wishes!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 21, 2013

Aw, poor babies! :( If it were me, I would totally take them in, but I'm a crazy cat lady! ;)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 21, 2013

Cat rescues are always full around here, too. If only people would fix their animals!!!

If the mother cat is gone, the kittens' only chance at survival is someone feeding them. I just googled and it seems kitten start to be weaned at around 4 weeks. You could probably do some research and find out how/what to feed them.

If the rescue can't provide housing for them, can they give you advice? Maybe help you out with getting some food/vaccinations/etc?

I am definitely a crazy cat lady, and my heart breaks for little babies like those. Thank goodness they have you to help them!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2013

In my area, if you feed the animals for 30 days, you are considered the legal owner. I hope you have it in your heart to give these babies a home. Pets are a wonderful addition to the family!

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 22, 2013

Contact the rescues again and ask them a different question: Ask them if they'd help you help them. They might be able to help out with appropriate food and/or get you in touch with a volunteer who has lots of experience with the younger kittens. They might even be able to help you with vet care should that become necessary.

Do the kittens have teeth yet? They might not be as young as you think. Often times feral kittens are smaller than house kittens. If they have teeth, you can feed them dry food soaked in KMR or another milk replacement formula. If they don't have teeth then you'll need to bottle feed them. Also, if they really are in the three week range, then you'll need to stimulate them to go to the bathroom, as newborn kittens can't reliably do that until they're 5-6 weeks.

8. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Oct 22, 2013

Last night, my friend came over with KMR and bottles. We fed them both.

One kitten eats very well and accepts the bottle. She is very mobile -can climb out of a small box! - and meows very loud.

The other doesn't seem to be as far progressed. She's much less mobile (although, she is able to waddle her way from the back of the shed to the front). When we had her for feeding, she kind of just sat there and burried her head in the sheet. She can pick her head up and meow and can "flail" her little body parts when picked up so she doesn't seem to be too weak.

She also lets her sibling climb all over her. I'm more concerned about her lack of interest in food. We did get her to suck on the bottle for a while last night, but not anywhere near the amount of the sibling. This morning she would suck the formula off my finger, but refused the bottle - with and without the sibling nearby.

The kittens do have sharp little teeth. But I aged them based on their eye and ears. Their eyes still have a small amount of blue in them and their ears - especially on the smaller one - are just starting to stand up straight.

I'll probably start making mushy food here soon.

Thanks for all the help! They're so cute. Hopefully I can find good homes from friends and family!

9. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Oct 24, 2013

I'm a cat mama and you should definitely follow the advice of milk replacement and soft food. Also, very important is to make sure that they are able to eliminate waste on their own. If they are as old as you think, that should not be a problem. For more information, go to pet place.com and read the article on caring for orphaned kittens. Two of mine were orphans and they are thriving. Best of luck to you and kittens, and thanks for being kind! P.S. I'm a TCU Frog, too.

10. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Oct 24, 2013

Website in previous post is petplace.com

11. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Oct 24, 2013

Check the weaker one about elimination. Normally, mom's washing is needed to cause it. You can mimic the action of mom licking kittens anal and urinary places with a damp paper towel. If the kitten is not stimulated to "go" toxins build up and can lead to a painful and prolonged death. Be prepared for a flood of pee if this is the problem, but it may literally save the kitten's life. Sorry this is graphic, but may be necessary to prevent death. Good luck!

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 24, 2013

I have a dog that will nurse kittens. Too bad we are so far apart. She was nursing kittens when we got her, and had to wait for the kittens to be weaned before we brought her home. Those kittens were huge!

Maybe you could find another cat to feed your babies.

13. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Oct 25, 2013

So, here it is Friday and the kittens have been with me all week. They're doing GREAT! Thank you so much for all of the advice! While it's been a little tiring feeding and making sure they go potty often, it's been so much fun and rewarding.

I bottle feed them 3 times a day with Kitten formula. The little one (probably was the runt) didn't take to the bottle too well at first. She would suck on it for all of 2 seconds and refuse it. Looking back, she was probably weak and had low blood sugar.

I let them stay outside Sunday and Monday night in hopes of Momma coming back. They both walked out from the shed Sunday, but after that The little one got slower and slower. On Tuesday morning the little one couldn't bring herself to walk out from under the shed. I had to reach back and grab her. That's when I took them inside for good. I would force a little milk down every feeding and slipped her a tiny bit of honey on Tuesday night...and now she's a completely different kitty.

They're picking up on the Litter box and will sometimes go all by themselves! Who knew a pottying kitty could make me so happy??

They're such sweet things and everyday, I think about keeping them more and more!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 26, 2013

Aw, so good to hear!

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 26, 2013

I so applaud you for taking care of them! They are some lucky kitties! ;)

16. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Oct 26, 2013

I'm so glad you are thinking of keeping them and that they are doing so well. They will bring you so much joy!!!

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2013

Post pictures of them!

18. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Nov 6, 2013

At your request, the Kittens - now about 4.5 weeks old:

[​IMG]

I hope the link works!

Kitten on the Left is Scout. He's the bigger one. And the little one on the Right is Linus. He was probably the runt of the litter. He could barely walk (from being so young and probably malnourished!) when I found him, but now he runs around and plays with his favorite mouse toy.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2013

They are adorable!!! It makes me want a kitten again, even though I have 2 cats!

20. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

Adorable!

I see they're practicing their ninja skills. They're doing an excellent camouflage job! ;)

21. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2013

AWWWWW!

I miss having cats. One of these days...

22. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2013

They are so cute!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2013

Awwwwwwwwwww....:wub:

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

They are adorable!

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

They look so healthy and sweet!

26. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Nov 7, 2013

I love them so, so much :wub:

If I don't keep both of them, one will probably go to my brother or Mom, which makes me happy. I've become so attached, I don't think I could just give them away to strangers.

Yes, they blend in so well with their bed! I freaked out one day trying to find one - turns out he was buried up in his bed sleeping.

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

As a crazy cat lady, I would suggest keeping them together, especially if they get along well. When I had one cat I always felt really guilty leaving her alone when I had to work late, or when I went away for the weekend. When she was at the shelter she had a little buddy that she would always cuddle with, and I really regretted not bringing him home, too.

I ended up getting my 2nd cat a few years later. They get along pretty well, but you never know how well 2 cats are going to get along with one-another. I would just hate for you to want a buddy later when you have a perfect pair right now. :)

28. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2013

:yeahthat: