found out I *might* be teaching 3rd next year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherheath, Jun 11, 2010.

1. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 11, 2010

I'm a little apprehensive, because I've taught 2nd for 7 years (special ed for 4 and 5th for 1). I won't find out till probably late August, which makes it reallllllly difficult to plan. So tell me, what are some things that make 3rd grade fun? So far, it seems like a lot of rites of passages including cursive and multiplication.

3. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jun 12, 2010

I lvoe third grade! It is the grade I just love teaching!!!

They are more independent and want to learn!

One thing I did this year was a class pet. I read the book, The World According to Humphrey. It's about a class pet. I got a Webkinz and he went home with a different student each weekend. The kids LOVED it!!! I asked what was one thing they liked and they said it was Shadow! (our porcupine pet).

Also, third graders learn multiplication facts. We did a Multiplication Sundae incentive.

Message me if you have any questions. Third is my favorite!!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

I was a 2nd grade teacher who made the leap to 3rd and love it.

I just love how much they can do and yet it still has the primary feel to it. It's a very special year.

Also, many of the kids who are labeled as behavior problems in K-2 really mature by 3rd. It's great fun!

5. Blurazzberi

Blurazzberi Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

I am most likely going to teach 3rd grade...I will know within the next week or so. I have a CD of the curriculum and have been going over it. The work looks fun...a little more exiting than 2nd (which I taught last year) I am encouraged about what iheartrecess said about the behavior thing. Most of them will already know me too. :)

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

Like the others said 3rd is wonderful :) I looped from 2nd to 3rd with a class in '07 and have been so happy that I did. I have absolutely loved it. The kids are more independent (after the first couple of months) and are also more mature. Where the curriculum is concerned it extends and builds on the material covered in 2nd (at least our state does). The two big things are multiplication and division and cursive. A good way to find out what your curriculum requirements would be for 3rd is to go to your state DOE website. If I want to know what the requirements are for 3rd grade here I go to the state website and look for 3rd grade under curriculum standards. If I want activities then I go to the frameworks section of the website. Good luck and have a wonderful year in 3rd grade if you get moved.

7. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 14, 2010

well, it's official. I'm sort of sad, because I LOVE my teaching partner, but kind of excited too. I'm sure I'll have a TON of questions!

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

I'm switching to 3rd grade too! I've spent 3 years in 4th and I'm going to miss my 4th grade team. But I hear great things about 3rd graders. I'm excited!

9. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jun 17, 2010

I love third grade! You are able to give the students more freedom and responsibility. At my school we teach cursive in third grade, which to the students is the coolest thing in the world. Every year the kids come to meet the teacher asking when we will start cursive. I also love seeing students begin to really get involved in reading. They are not learning how to read anymore, they are reading to learn.

Good Luck!

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2010

The class pet idea is great! How is the book?? I would love to do something different with my 3rd graders this year!