Found my dream job. Is it too forward to email the principal and department chair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 27, 2016

Hello all,

Just found my dream job at an online job bank, which is everything I'm looking for. High school position, large school with many clubs, and lots of opportunities to get involved. I've already spent a long time making the best resume/cover letter/etc. that I can and have submitted my application. The deadline is 5/31, and now the waiting game begins.

I've never felt like this before. I've got so many stars in my eyes about this position it's not even funny, and I feel like I'm in love for the first time. This is ridiculous! Naturally, I want to be proactive and make something happen. I don't know anyone or of anyone who works in that district who could put in a good word for me, and I want to make myself stand out in a good way...but I want to seek out assistance and your tips first.

My idea was to email the department chair and the principal, briefly stating my enthusiasm/passion/skills, etc. I had done this last year and I believe it helped land me an interview. I'm at a time in my career (9 years in) where I'm looking for a school to settle down in and raise a family. This school is in a great setting, and I feel like it's the perfect one for me!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2016

I'd go ahead and email.

4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 27, 2016

I would email. I've gotten quite a few interviews that way. :)

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 28, 2016

I would contact them but make sure the job posting does not state something like, "Do not contact school/principal etc, apply online only". I have seen these types of job postings and I think it would be wise to follow their requests.

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

May 9, 2016

I interviewed last week for the job! Today, they emailed back and invited me to present a 55-minute guest lesson on anything I want. Any tips/advice on what's going on here?

PallasAthena likes this.