Found my dream house

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mr_post22, Mar 23, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 23, 2014

I was looking at houses online today and I found a home that is like one out of my dreams :). The all the buildings combined is about 2,000 sq. ft and is on a 25 acre lot in the middle of nowhere for $150,000. I was pre-approved for $200,000 The only thing is, it has animals (cows and chickens) which I don't want or need and I would have to get Direct TV or Dish because Bright House is does not cover that area. Also, there is a central building with the living room and kitchen in it and a half bath that is HUGE than it branches off by covered, outdoor paths to 6 buildings. Four of them are guest rooms that are about 10x10 and a community bathroom (4 showers and 4 toilets all in stalls) and a master building with the master bah, closet (really big with built ins), and the bedroom. Also, it comes furnished and I get a lawn mower. But it's landscape needs help so my mom will have a ball with the new clippers I bought her for Christmas :lol:.

I called the Realtor to inquire about why it was so cheap. Apparently the lady who owned it died and the family lives in different parts of the country and no one wants is so they want it sold fast. I than called my Realtor and set up a time to see it tomorrow after school. If all goes well, I will be moving to the country and than I have to figure out what to do with the animals because I have no time nor do I have the patience to care and feed them.

1. What cable provider should I get?:help:
    2. What internet and phone should I get because I have Bright House for that also?:help:

I am really excited and it would actually be faster to get to my school than my apartment is because I won't hit any traffic or stop lights.

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

Sounds great! I hope it looks as great in person. Chickens are very trendy right now. Keep an open mind about the animals- never knew anyone who didn't fall in love with a cow:)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

The outer buildings sound like a challenge. I'd want to do work to renovate into one main house and maybe one guest house...the outer pathways and bathrooms sound inconvenient...if its your dream house though go for it...the land alone would cost way more than that in my area.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 23, 2014

You might want to keep the animals. Your taxes will be much cheaper.

I have Dish at the house out in the country and Direct at the house in town. I used to prefer Direct but when I had some issues at the country house, the Dish folks bent over backwards to fix it. Go with whichever is cheaper at the moment you are going to install. I think they're basically the same.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I'd definitely keep the cows and chickens. Just imagine, fresh eggs and fresh milk every day. Imagine all the yoghurt, farmer's cheese and other yummy stuff you could make (if you had time). You could even hire someone to milk the cows and just take most of the milk.

I've had Dish for many years now, and their customer service really is great.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

Um. 25 acres is a lot of land to look after. Do you have a plan for how to maintain all that land?

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I should clarify by saying you can't maintain 25 acres of pasture and/or grassland with a lawn mower.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

You should get a few goats, they'll take care of the landscaping. I had a goat for 3 years, I didn't have to mow my lawn during the time.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

Wow, it sounds wonderful. 25 acres is a lot of land. Can you rent it out? Then, you would not have to maintain so much. With that bedroom set up, you could rent out some space. Lots of potential for ways to handle the land.

As for TV, you might have to take the one that services the area. My daughter had one come out and install everything, and then tell her they did not provide service in her area.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

Milking cows is not as glamorous as they make it seem in movies. You can't just walk up to a cow and start milking it. You'll want to check into that before you start dreaming of all your dairy treats :)

Sounds like an incredible property. You don't need to maintain all 25 acres - you can fence some off and make it 'pasture land', maybe even rent part of it out for a farmer to let their animals graze.

12. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 24, 2014

I don't that much money! But I like it. Plus, there is a half bath in the main building and the guest buildings surround the bathroom and isn't that far

13. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 24, 2014

15 of the 25 acres is all wooded.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 24, 2014

You're still responsible for noxious weeds, air, water, and soil purity, any clearing of brush, etc. Is it zoned agricultural? I assume so, if the previous owner had animals. I agree with Missy though, moving to a "farm", no matter how small, can seem like a walk in the proverbial pasture, but it's a LOT of work.

Another thing to think about is trespassing-you may have to deal with this. 25 acres is not a lot of land to keep watch over, but by yourself could be interesting. You are likely to be held responsible for any damage done by trespassers.

Also, have you checked the tax payments on the land? That can be quite significant, especially depending on how it is zoned.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the house; it's just that I've been through a lot of this, so I want you to have the most information possible before jumping in.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

I am bumping this up to ask if you bought the house.

16. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 30, 2014

It is under contract. My closing is on April 21.
    $105,000 with closing costs, furniture, and the lawn mower.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2014

Congrats!!

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

Congrats! Sounds like the property has plenty of potential.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

Congratulations!

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

Congratulations! Maybe you could find a couple of people to rent the 4 bedrooms. One of them can get a decrease in rent by helping to maintain your land. Good luck!

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 30, 2014

Congrats! You'll love having all that space.

22. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 1, 2014

Congratulations! What an exciting adventure you are starting. I have a suggestion:

1. Photograph everything before you move in. The land, house, etc., You'll want to look back on the pictures in years to come.