Found a pretty cool teacher to student communication tool. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Jul 28, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 28, 2013

Found a pretty cool teacher-to-student communication tool. What do you guys think?

This is primarily for high school aged kids because most, if not all, have cellphones with text.

You create a free account and you get assigned a phone #. Then you create a list of your classes. For example Math 1-2, Math 3-4, etc. For each of those classes, you also assign a special code.

The students then text that phone # you were assigned along with the corresponding special code for the class they are in. The system automatically responds and asks for the students name. They reply with their name and their name is then added to your roster.

From here, you can log into the system and push messages to your students via text. Like "Homework, pg. 12 #1-9 odd" or "Remember test tomorrow!"

The best thing is, neither side have access to each others real phone numbers. And it's a one way communication. Students can't respond. They can only receive messages. Parents can also sign themselves up to keep updated on their kids' classes.

The site is here: https://www.remind101.com/

I signed up and played around with it. It seems pretty cool. What do you guys think???

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2013

My husband used it last year. He liked it, but didn't loooooove it. It beats giving out your cell number.

4. thatgirlyouknow

thatgirlyouknow Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

I used it last year and really liked it. I started mid-semester and I saw a dramatic increase in homework and projects being turned in (as well as more being on time). Test scores increased a bit as well.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

Yes, it is great. if you do a quick search you might find a few different ways that teachers on here use it.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 28, 2013

I signed up and made flyers for my parents. Obviously, I can't use it with my kids, it's going to be for things like field trip money due Wednesday/Open House is Monday night/Biography project due Fri, etc.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 28, 2013

Yes, I've made a flyer, too. I plan on giving it a go this year, (and I teach 4th grade). I'll share it with my students' parents.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 28, 2013

I like Remind101. I used it last year, along with a number of other teachers at my school. The kids thought it was funny that their teachers were sending them text messages. :lol:

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

Many teachers at my school use it. I am thinking about using it next year. The only thing holding me back is potential information overload, especially if all the teachers are using it. I wouldn't use it all that often, maybe once per week and before tests, but I can't control how often other teachers use it. I wouldn't want some poor kid to be getting 5 texts a day from their teachers.

10. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 28, 2013

For those who have used it or know someone that uses it, do you make the students sign up? I'm not sure if I should make it a requirement that students sign up or just give an incentive for them to. Like if they sign up, I'll give them 10 extra credit points. Or possibly give a freebie question before an exam using the service.

11. thatgirlyouknow

thatgirlyouknow Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

I don't make them sign up, but once they see their classmates turning things in on time and their test scores going up, then most end up signing up anyway. There are those who will just never sign up because they don't care, but it's really a small amount.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 28, 2013

This might help you. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=174661&highlight=remind+101

13. thatgirlyouknow

thatgirlyouknow Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

Oh, and around progress report time, I'll say something like, "How many of you feel that remind101 is helping you turn things in on time, reminding you to study, and helping you remember your homework?" Every kid who gets the texts holds their hand up, which helps with buy-in from the others.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

I don't make students sign up. That wouldn't be fair to the few that do not have access to free texting.

About half my students sign up the day that I mention it in class. About a quarter sign up throughout the semester as they see it is helping their peers.

15. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 28, 2013

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

16. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 28, 2013

THIS^

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

I have not, but how would you handle a student who didn't have a phone, or wasn't allowed to receive text messages?

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

You can't possibly require students to accept your texts.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I agree that teachers can't/shouldn't require students to accept texts. I also think that there shouldn't be an extra credit component, either. If a student can't accept texts because he doesn't have free/unlimited texts or because he doesn't have a phone at all, it's not fair to offer extra credit that he can't possibly earn.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2013

Our counselor uses it for scholarship deadlines. Our P uses it for important school wide info. I'm afraid my classroom info would be lost in the info-stream.

I'm going to try Canvas this year.

21. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2013

I can see some use for parents at the elementary level. As a parent, I'm on top of things, but I'd appreciate a text message the night before a field trip to remind me or a reminder about a special homework assignment or whatnot.

I think I'd use this or a similar service when I go back into the classroom (K-5). It would be optional, of course, and I'd still send home my newsletter and other paper reminders, but I certainly like it as an opt-in extra for parents who would like it.