Found a kitten

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Aug 17, 2009.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

Yesterday my neighbor's dog found a kitten in their yard- stuck in the fence. He wanted to eat her, so I took her. I know I am allergic to dogs, but so far (about 20 hours after finding her) I am completely fine with the kitten. As long as I stay allergy free, I want to keep her. She is tiny and absolutely adorable. I am taking her to the vet this afternoon. She seems healthy and flea-free. She is eating (although she did throw up this morning) and using the litter box.

However, I have never in my life owned a cat. I am kind of clueless. What do I need to know? Recommended food, litter, training tips, etc... are needed. Thanks!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

Talk to the vet. My vet has always recommended pet food. Make sure you let the vet know that she threw up this morning.

If you've got a litter box, all you need toys, maybe a pillow, a climber.

I do recommend that as soon as the kitten is big enough that you spay/neuter.

Have fun with your new kitten!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

She threw up food. It was barely chewed which may be why.

I've got some toys and gave her a blanket for now.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

You may need smaller pellets, but tell the vet that.

My cat never used her pillow. She has certain blankets that she prefers, certain spots that she prefers depending on the time of day.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I hope your trip to the vet goes well and that you will be able to enjoy your new little friend! It's hard to believe that the 21-pounder purring next to me was ever a tiny kitten. :)

7. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

Sometimes putting a large rock in the feeding bowl helps the cat slow down when it's eating, my cat used to eat so fast he'd throw up.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Or try feeding it only small amounts at a time. It's probably got to just get used to regular feedings since it's had to find its own food at sucha young age. Maybe it's used to gobbling up whatever it found.
    BTW...do you know if it's a boy or girl? Do you have a name? I've been a cat owner for the last 23 years and I just love them! They give so much in return for your love and care. It's a rewarding relationship! Enjoy your new kitty. :)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Awwww!! You have to share pictures :)

I am allergic to my cats, but keep them anyway. I figure their tolerance of me is worth it (I would say their love and affection is worth it, but they not that lovey-dovey).

I gave my kitties kitten food until they were about a year old.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

How did the vet trip go?

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

She was too young for shots- she is about 5 weeks. She is for sure a girl :)
    She is completely healthy - no worms, fleas, AIDS, leukemia, etc...

She has yet to be named. I am still thinking about it.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I forgot- my allergies are still fine, so I think I am good.

She will be alone tomorrow- it is my first day back to work. She likes to sleep on my lap, so I bought her a bed and I am going to put a dirty shirt in it, so hopefully she will sleep in there :)

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

She is wicked young. What did the vet say about food? My mom's cat tucker was that age when I got him. He was mine but he ended up being my parents instead. haha.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

They said just to feed her name brand kitten food. I have her eating Purina Kitten Chow. She seems to be alright now. I think she just inhaled it!

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I wonder what happened to her poor siblings? You think maybe mom was moving them and one got stuck in the fence? Maybe you ought to go around the neighborhood and see if any more were abandoned. Better they go to live at the humane society where they can be adopted than get mutilated by wandering dogs.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I live in the middle of a subdivision with postage stamp lots and several stray cats. I am pretty sure someone would have noticed if there were any more strays. Seriously- my house is on 0.15 acres, LOL.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

She doesn't play with her toys. She will play with a ribbon with me or bat at my fingers if I wiggle them, but I try to get her to bat at a ball or play with the other toys and she will not touch them.
    Do you all think it is because she is still so young?

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

Yes it is because she is so young. What does she look like?

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I'll work on pictures in a day or so.
    She is grey striped with a white nose, belly and feet. Her eyes are tealish.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

Oh sounds cute. Her eyes will probably change color in a few more weeks.

21. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I know it's tempting to have her play with your fingers but it won't be cute if she starts using her claws as she gets older. Please, for a happy relationship between the two of you, no body parts to be used as toys! You'll thank me later when you can sleep through the night without being attacked by your adult cat because you moved in your sleep! Strange scratches in the morning are no fun!
    She really is young! Keep an eye on her. My older cat was given to us at 4 weeks and she is neurotic! Anxiety issues! The vet says it's from weaning too young. My second kitty was brought to us at the age of 8 weeks and she is so calm and mellow. Big difference between a few weeks of weaning. If your kitten is sweet and relaxed now, do your best to keep her that way. Socialize her often...take her for car rides. Take her outside in your arms. Have people come over and handle her. I wish I could turn back time on my older cat. The poor thing. She worries herself over everything. Ok...a name for your kitten?

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2009

Congrats on the new addition to your family! Try to post a picture.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

We fostered a cat that had kittens and they told us to give the kittens soft food before transitioning to hard food. She seems so young that it might help to give her some soft food also.

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

Alright. No more fingers as toys :) She climbed on my bed last night and was attacking my feet around 2 AM. So, no body parts as toys!
    We have went for 3 car rides already. I drive home to MI (from NC) a few times a year, so I know I have to get her used to it!
    Thanks for all the tips!

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

Alright- pottying question for you who are experienced. She is very good with the litter box. I showed it to her several times and she went within an hour of me taking her in. I have seen no accidents until a few minutes ago. I bought one of those little pop-up nylon kitty cubes to play in. She had not went near it all day. Then, an hour or so ago, she went in and I thought 'good she is playing'. She was scratching it and I starting thinking I should check things out- well, she peed in it. It was sitting on tile, so I threw it out the back door and will hose it off tomorrow- no big deal. I cleaned the tile even though it was dry.
    Now, my concern is that she goes under my bed a lot. She likes it. Should I be concerned about her going potty under there? Like I said, there have been no visible (or smellable) accidents until that one. Now, I am being paranoid. The last thing I want is for her to pee under my bed and me not know it! Eew!!

(As for hearing her scratch on the carpet- I haven't. Her litter box is in my bathroom, so my bedroom is always accessible to her. If I am doing laundry, dishes, cooking, etc... I would not hear it)

26. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

You're smart to have her getting used to the car already - I have two cats that freak out if I even get their carriers out. They cry even during short car rides.

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

She probably peed in the tent because it was an enclosed space and "felt" like a cat box to her. Be careful about leaving laundry baskets around when she gets a little older - that's a nasty surprise!

She probably won't pee under the bed, but when you see her using the box, praise her.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

Thanks. I have treats that I give her when I see her use it. I was hoping she only did it because it was enclosed and private. Plus, the texture of it probably didn't help.