Fossils

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Samothrace, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

So my 4th graders will be learning about fossils soon and I want to do something to go along with this. My p is big about my lessons involving other academic areas.

I was thinking doing something with printmaking....but don't know. I'm still in my brainstorming state.

Any idea or thoughts?

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

Rubbings. Thin plaster casts (did this one at a workshop with playdough). Embossing with aluminum foil.

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

how did you use playdough to do the cast? did you make the mold out of the playdough then pour in the plaster?

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

Whatever object you use, you press it into the playdough, remove it, then pour in the plaster. We used seashells and we mixed our own plaster. I would suspect that having all the children make molds by putting the playdough into the bottom of a small paper milk carton (small box) would allow you to have the molds made then make all the plaster of paris you'll need to pour them all at once.

But now that I think on it, you need the negative to make the fossil. The plaster into the playdough will be a positive. Maybe it might work out.

I've also made fossils by pressing fallen leaves into clay and firing the greenware so that leaves burn out..

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

the leaf thing sounds neat! too bad my 4 year old kiln is sitting in the janitors closet unhooked. :(

The plaster things sounds fun, but not something I really want to venture into being on a cart.