Forum Rule- Advertising

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by chistu, May 10, 2010.

1. chistu

chistu New Member

May 10, 2010

For some reason, the contact form does not work for me so I will ask the question here.

If I wanted to post a thread regarding an educational poster, would it fall under the forum rule "No Advertising"? The thread would be asking if the poster was appealing, if teachers would want to use it in their classrooms, and general opinions. I would NOT be trying to advertise the poster for sale.

So is this allowed? Thanks for your time. :)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 10, 2010

You aren't even allowed to post links for a bit as a new member so it's a non issue at this point.

It depends on what your purpose is. If your purpose is to survey what the market is interested in, whether or not you want to actually sell it or not is immaterial. It still violates our no advertising post policy. If you are a teacher trying to decorate your classroom and were wondering if this particular poster looks good in your own classroom, then that's a legit question. Since it is your first post, I'm more suspect of your overall purpose. Most initial posts aren't a "look and see this" type of post.

Does that help clarify things a bit?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 10, 2010

Yes, that would be considered self-promotion, which is not limited to items for sale. There is a bit more leeway once you are an established member, though, with at least 50 posts in education forums and 30 days membership.

5. chistu

chistu New Member

May 11, 2010

Thanks for the information!

I understand I do seem pretty sketchy as I just found this website. :blush: No need to worry, I will not try to be advertising or anything! I just testing my computer graphic skills for the classroom. Thanks again! :)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2010

You could always stay at and contribute to the other posts on the forum. And ask us once you have established your membership.

7. chistu

chistu New Member

May 11, 2010

Of course I will stay around. It seems like a nice community in here!

8. May 20, 2010

Hi, I just joined and think I am in the wrong place! I am a retired teacher with a lot of materials to pass along. Do you have a suggestion of a website to do this on? I don't want to toss them out, as many are brand new. Thanks.
    PS--I found this because I did a search for one of my items and this site came up, as a member was wondering where to find it--but that was a 2005 post. I will unsubscribe if this is not the place to ask this question.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 20, 2010

mona, a lot of people use freecycle, or take them to their local schools and offer "first come, first served"...

that being said, we'd LOVE to have your experience around here if you care to stay... once you get to know us, you'll find that there are lots of people on here who would be very interested in free materials :)