Forum discussions for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, May 16, 2020.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

May 16, 2020

When online learning started, I really wanted to set up a forum where students could post questions and answers and have an interactive forum (kind of like we do here!) I had been using Google Classroom for links and schedules with Odysseyware for content (don’t even get me started on how much I hate OW). Students were already complaining about being confused and overwhelmed with all the different websites they were supposed to use from different teachers, so I set up a “question” in Classwork and enabled the switch that allows students to respond to each other, but it turns out on their end that they can only answer the question, but not respond to another student. I am able to reply, but not others. This of course defeats my idea of a forum. Anyone familiar with the Google Suite that knows how to “truly” enable students to respond to each other? Or another way to conduct a forum through a link to a site open Classroom. Obviously our year is about over, but I am really wanting to plan for the possibility of online next year.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 16, 2020

I use the discussion forums in Canvas. People are also talking about some of the collaborative aspects of Big Blue Button that may be useful.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 16, 2020

I use Padlet with my middle school students.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 16, 2020

I used a class discussion with Google Classroom. Students can respond to each other but then they get an email to notify them and I didn't like that because most probably don't check their email.
    So I told them that to reply to each other, they would make a new comment and start with the name, for example: "To Jamie: …." And then each student must check and scan to see if they see their own name, but should check every comment anyways. It actually worked out pretty well.

6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

May 17, 2020

I use the question feature on Google Classroom and students can reply to one another. You have to make sure to check a couple settings to allow it to happen:
    1) On the actual post. make sure to toggle on that students can reply to each other/see each others' responses (can't remember how it's worded).
    2) Go into settings on that Class's page and make sure to allow "students to post and comment." If it only allows the teacher to do so, they will not be able to write comments to one another. I typically turn this function off after the assignment is done.