Former student

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Grammy Teacher, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

I talked with one of last year's students today. He is in Kindergarten now. I asked him how it's going and he said, "Well, they do really easy stuff there." I said, "Well, you are just so smart!" His mom had told me that he was bored there, but did what was asked of him and was respectful to the teacher. We had worked on manners a lot when he was in my class, as do his parents.
    Anyway, the cutest thing he said to me today was, "Yea, they don't anything like that hard bird puzzle that you used to do with me!"
    He made my day!

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

Awwwwwww, that is so sweet! Makes you feel good to know that you had such an impact on the little guy. Too bad he is bored in K, but it is good to know that despite that, he and his parents are respectful of the teacher. You taught him well, Grammy! :)

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

Yea, he does what his teachers ask him to do, even though it takes him about 30 seconds to complete! His mom said that things are picking up now. The teacher was dealing with some kids who really didn't know things like he does, so she had to take it a bit slow at first. Now they are starting to do more challenging things.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

That's good. I hate to see a child go unchallenged.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2007

Yea, that's what I was thinking. On the other hand, he knew (and I teach all of my kids this,) that he would not be "entertained" by someone all the way through school and that he would sometimes have to make his day interesting on his own. Well, he did this very well. Rather than whining about being bored, he was one to get out the supplies and make things on his own or read and imagine. I am working with this very thing in this year's class. When someone is standing there looking around like a lost puppy, I suggest they "get busy." THey sometimes ask me, "Well, what should I do?" I tell them, "figure it out, look around, invent, think, get busy." It works every single time and i have no whiners. That is what gets them ready for Kindergarten more than knowing their ABC's.
    If a child is bored in school, it's because they have not been taught to think on their own. Some kids need someone telling them every move to make.

7. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jan 18, 2007

I have one that has trouble "getting busy", and it is because his mom always gets busy for him. It drives me crazy! He is a very smart little boy, but he doesn't have an imagination. They are treating him too much like an adult (he's an only child). We are working hard on this. He also needs to be praised for every little thing that he does. We are working on this as well.
    *Grammy - what a neat story! You must be beaming. It is obvious that you made a difference for this little boy. This is the reason that I am a teacher.*

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2007

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2007

Just because of a finish fast, smart student ahead of the others....I now keep a file of puzzles (sudoku, sequence picture stories, hidden pictures, and other education related puzzles) for this student but it is available to any that works hard and finishes their work (must be right). They LOVE it! It is available whenever we offer the unfinished work folder and if there is nothing there. Other times we suggest library books/independent reading books or other activities set in mind. These puzzles though get them going and increase skills they are working on. I change them out depending on the skill sets.

Grammy, I do agree with you 100% on learning to think and imagine. I just want to ask a question and have the kids respond instead of looking at me dumbfounded half the time. Of course we translate from English to signing and that loses it sometimes. When we do it in American Sign Language (not read from a board) then it is easier. Today though I was trying to get a student to talk about his social studies project and all I got was one word replies from off the wall subjects. I finally got him to understand that I didn't want him to just memorize something but to look at his poster and explain why he drew what he did and what he learned about it. It took some time but I finally got those thinking juices flowing. THINKING skills IS more important than ABCs. I know this probably isn't exactly what you were talking about but in my book it's right there with it.