Former student/personal address

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jd123, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 19, 2014

What do you think of giving out your personal address to a former student or that student's family? I taught first grade last year. I am no longer at that school. This student's mom said that her child wants to write to me. I would like that, but maybe there is a reason not to give my address that hasn't occurred to me (probably something obvious:confused:)
    Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

I taught HS two years ago. Only 3 students knew my address. Two babysat for me and one was the son of one of my aides that took care of my dogs while I was out of town. It would be fairly easy for any student to look my address up, but I haven't had any problems with students abusing their knowledge. I think since this student is young that it would be ok to give it to her parents.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2014

I think if you feel there's a real need to keep in touch with six year old, okay, but....is there really that need? The child may have attachment issues and the mom needs to deal with that. Sometimes, little ones get overly attached to their teachers. I think it would be best to have that discussion with the mother and ask her to handle it on her end. That's just me though. After teaching a lot of years, I have run into this problem before and really, there is just no need for me to keep in touch with a former student unless, like Smalltowngal mentioned above, they babysit or are children of a former coworker who do family-type things with your family.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Have the mom direct the students letter to your new school address. I'm sure this will be short lived as the kid begins the new school year.if you respond at all, keep it short and sweet...something along the lines of 'I hope you had a great summer. Enjoy the new school year! Work hard and I know you'll do great. :) your name'

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

I agree with czacza's solution as it's one I've used myself. Several former students still send me Christmas cards and the like through the school. It's lovely but still non-intrusive.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 19, 2014

I've had a couple ask because parents want to send grad invites through the mail. I'm okay with it.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2014

I remember exchanging letters with my first grade teacher two or three times a year up through fifth grade.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

First grade seem innocent, but we are paranoid about such things where I am at. I would politely decline to put that information out there in this day and age. They can probably still find you, but don't do their job for them. Better than having it sent to the new school, have it sent to old school, and just ask someone there to forward to you. If anyone there raises an eyebrow at this, that should be your answer.