Former First Cat, Socks, passed away

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lilmisses1014, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 21, 2009

He was 18 years old-- wow!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/20/socks-feline-face-clinton-white-house-dead/

I remember being a fifth grader watching this program called something like "The Kids Talk with President Clinton" shortly after his inauguration. Anyway, near the end of the program President Clinton had Chelsea and Socks come out. One of the kids asked him if he liked Socks, and Clinton made some comment along the lines of how he doesn't like cats. As a huge cat lover, I was horrified and decided that I didn't like the president very much. :p

I have a soft spot in my heart for tuxedo cats: one of them adopted us 8 years ago and promptly took over my parents' home. She has a little white mark under her nose that looks like a heart on its side. :D I'm also very partial to orange kitties.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

I heard that on the news today. It sounds like Socks came down with cancer about a year ago...

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 21, 2009

Poor kitty.

I lost an 18-year-old cat a year ago, but to somethng else.

To be hoenst, I loved Socks and while I respect the Clintons, I think it's shoddy what they did to Socks after they left the White House. You just don't have a pet that long and then "dump" it on someone else like that. I think the Clintons just had pets to have pets in the White House because I can't remember a president without ever having one. It'd look too odd if someone became president and didn't have a pet or pets. After all, this is a pet loving nation.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

I didn't realize that they dumped their pet after they were out of the White House.

6. Suburban Gal

Feb 21, 2009

The cat lived with White House secretary Betty Currie since they left it. I believe they gave the cat to her as some thank you for her service and friendship or something. IMHO, that is dumping. If you truly love your pet, you wouldn't just get rid of it like that. If you read the article the Clinton's statement about the cat's passing, it opens with, "Socks brought much happiness to Chelsea and us over the years, and enjoyment to kids and cat lovers everywhere. We're grateful for those memories..." If the cat brought them that much happiness, why give it away? I love my pets very much. they bring me much happiness too, but I'd NEVER give them away after many years of loyalty to me not unless I really, really had to. In the Clinton's case, they didn't have to.

IMHO, the cat should've died with them if it gave them THAT much happiness. Not with someone else.

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 21, 2009

I was kind of wondering why Socks was living with Currie after I read that article. It still seems like he lived a good life with her. I think I'd rather that he be "dumped" on Currie and live in a good loving home than continue living with the Clintons-- Chelsea or her parents-- who may not have had the time (or desire) to care for him. They also had Buddy for a while, and those two animals hated each other. Who knows, maybe Currie made a HUGE fuss over Socks and made comments about how she'd love to have him?

8. Suburban Gal

Feb 21, 2009

It's interesting Buddy was brought up. That poor dog's demise was being hit by a vehicle because he was allowed to run loose, I believe.

IMHO, people shouldn't have pets just to have them. If you truly don't want them or have the time for them or just don't know how to care for them then why even have them to begin with?

Maybe Buddy's death was a blessing in some ways.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

At first I thought this was about MelissainGA's cat, Socks. I was shocked!!! Glad to hear it wasn't. :)

It sounds like the cat lead a good life, and that's all you can ask.

10. Suburban Gal

Feb 21, 2009

True, but, I just don't get how someone can say their pet brought them much happines and yet dump them.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

I don't agree with them dumping the cat off, but I'm glad that the woman took him in.

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 22, 2009

OH no!! That's why I put "Former First Cat" in the thread title-- I definitely didn't want anyone to confuse the two! :) I hope her little Socks is doing well!

SG, we can all agree that people shouldn't adopt pets if they can't take care of them properly. I have no idea how much attention Socks received while in the White House, but despite the fact that he was given to Ms. Currie, it still seems like the cat led a happy life in the end. It could have been much worse for him.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2009

I bet they wouldn't have taken proper care of the cat, because they are always somewhere involved in something. Better a nice home than to be looked after by caregivers.