format for teaching portfolio

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcr, Jun 28, 2005.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 28, 2005

I was just wondering if I should use a 3-ring binder for my portfolio or would it be okay to have it spiral-bound at Office Max?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 28, 2005

If you use a 3-ring binder, you'll be able to add things as you find new things to include... that's harder to do in a spiral, although I thnik a spiral looks nicer. ;)

4. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 28, 2005

That's exactly what I thought! Thanks.

5. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 28, 2005

I agree that the 3-ring binder is the way to go. I'm sure that having it spiral bound would be nice, but I'm sure that once you get it the way you want it...you're going to find one more thing! That's what happened to me. I can't think of the name of the binder, but I got one at Office Depot that came with on online template so that you could print out a cover and binding VERY EASY. Wilson Jones maybe?

The interview that I was able to find a way to show off my portfolio was the job that I got. You've just got to find a way to gear the interview towards a glance at it. The principal asked me about my test scores and I opened it up to my results and he looked at it. Since it was in front of him at that point he kind of flipped through it.

I don't think that the actual content impressed him, I think it was the fact that 1) I had it, 2) I actually opened it and didn't hold on to it the whole time like a cruch, and 3) it was very neat, professional, and colorful.

Good luck!

Here is a website that has great information on putting together a portfolio:

www.pecentral.org

look under "Job Center">Portfolios

6. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 28, 2005

In 3 ring binders, try to get one with D rings so that things lay flat when the binder is closed!

I have to start planning my portfolio, spring 2006 will be here before I know it and I plan on getting a job BEFORE graduation ;)

7. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 28, 2005

I have my portfolio in a three ring binder. I think it looks nice. I had two interviews this year. The first one I used the portfolio and did not get the job. The second one I was so nervous that I forgot to use it, although I held onto it like a crutch :eek: , and I ended up getting the job. I think it is a great resource to have, but don't kill yourself over it!

8. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 28, 2005

OH yeah, that website also gives suggestions such as using those "V" things in the front and back so that your pages stay flat....and suggestions to make your dividers clear on both sides. I found it helpful and a good template as to what to put into it. You have to adjust from PE ideas to all subjects, but I found it helpful.

9. dee

dee Companion

Jun 28, 2005

I think having and using a portfolio is a wonderful tool to have on a interview. I was able to use mine and I think that my principal was impressed when I used it. I would definitely advise you to use a three ring binder, so you can add to it.