Formal letter writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beth2004, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2007

I'm going to be starting a unit with my fifth graders on formal letter writing. What activities do you do to teach this? It is going to be about a two week unit so I'm not spending a ton of time on it, but I'm still having a hard time coming up with enough lessons to fill 10 55 minute periods. Also, I teach in the Writers' Workshop format, so any ideas that you have that fit that format would be fantastic!
    :):thanks:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 26, 2007

In 9th grade I had to write a formal complaint letter to a company about a product of some kind. I wrote to frido-lay because I had some cheetos that were actually moldy when I opened the bag (from a vending machine.) They sent me an apology letter and a ton of coupons. Some people got money back, or other things from companies.

They could also write a friendly letter to a friend or family member in another state, or a letter inquiring about a buisness or service. They can write a letter to a senator about an important issue they care about, to the pricipal, the mayor, etc.

Maybe choose two kinds of letters, and spend one week on each.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2007

How about a letter to an elected official, on some matter of civic importance?

Or a letter you can send to a local VA or Nursing home?

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 26, 2007

My 8th grade English teacher had us write a fan letter to our favorite author. We had to tell what we like about the book, what we learned etc..... I wrote to Ray Bradberry and recieved a return letter from him. 30 years later it is still one of my most prized possessions.