Forget Minnesota...North Dakota is much better....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 23, 2010

Feb. 8th. I'm leaving here on friday.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

So....this is your last weekend as a Southern Belle!!!

Sometime today, hit the store and get that ice/snow scraper for your car... the one with the long handle. You may very well need it for the drive!

And put aside some blankets for the kids to use in the car. Sleepy kids sleep so much better in the car under a blanket.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

Wed is the planned auto parts store day. I need to change the oil and get new wipers. I think the timing is great. I went to the grocery store yesterday and noticed one of the wipers starting to peel away from the metal. I need to get ones more appropriate for snow, so I'm glad that I don't have to replace perfectly good ones. Anyway, I was hoping to find a decent scraper there, but since I'm so far south, maybe not. I might wind up having to get something less than ideal and get a better one after I get to Fargo.

I was planning on keeping the blankets and pillows up front :).

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

Try a truck stop - either now or en route.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

That's true, TG. I was thinking I'd wind up with a dinky one for the trip itself....

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

One finds windshield scrapers at truck stops in the darndest places and seasons... and the weather you've been reporting from Atlanta And Thereabouts makes the current season not even remotely implausible.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 24, 2010

You should order this mm. These work the best. My dh made a bunch in college for his final plastics project (just don't tell the copyright department!)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

That wouldn't help me much.

I'm 5'4" and I drive a minivan. That wouldn't help me get the snow off the top of the car.

(MM: the reason it needs to get off the top is because, othewise, it's liable to come off in one big sheet as I'm driving. The guy behind me would be blinded with snow for a good few seconds until he got his wipers on.)

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 24, 2010

We just bought four of these! A lady was selling them at the Air Force Base. She had a video running of how well they work. They do an amazing job on ice!

Please remember to have your anti-freeze checked. I'm not sure what temperature you should have it safe at for Fargo - maybe forty or fifty below zero.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

Get the coldest-rated antifreeze possible. And get a block heater or oil pan heater!!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

I'm deciding between three different apartments right now. They all have garages, so that will help. I don't even know if I can get a block heater this far south. I'm running out of time, so I'm not even sure I can order one. I'm dealing with the rest of the car stuff Wed.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

You can get an oil pan heater once you get to NoDak. I recommend Sahr's Sudden Service on North Broadway. It's a small shop with a very reputable owner who is actually a long-time family friend. (He also owns a dog boarding place nearby in Sabin, MN. We always board our dogs there when we're in town.)

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jan 25, 2010

If ya need anything else, give me a holler! ;) I am pretty sure I know where you'll be working. If you have any questions on my opinion on the apartments, I would be happy to give you my advice. :) Once you hit Iowa/Illinois, you should be able to get a good window scraper. I prefer the one with the bristles on one side and a plastic scraper on the other. Make sure your tires are good. And, yes, once you get here, you'll want to invest in a block heater and do get some new antifreeze when you can. Again, I would be happy to help you out.. lived here all my life. :) You'll grow to love the snow and even the cold-- you grow to appreciate spring, summer and fall so much more than you'd ever imagined.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2010

I'm excited for you, mm!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting!

15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2010

And speaking of liable, people have indeed been found liable for accidents caused by snow sliding off their roofs when they could have cleared it away before driving.