Foreclosure and students.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lovebeingteach, May 16, 2012.

1. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 16, 2012

We had a new kid move to our school today. At first I was super-annoyed. "Who would move their child at the end of the school year?" Then after talking to the social worker, I discovered that his family lost their home a few days ago, and is technically homeless. They are living with a family member, but according to the social worker, they are still in the "homeless" category. I am wondering does anyone know of any studies showing the effects of foreclosure on student performance?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 16, 2012

We have a large number of "families in transition" in our district. Many live with friends or family but the majority live in hotels along the tourist corridor on the way to Disney. The only studies I know about the effects are just what I have seen in the children I teach. Many of them are very insecure, they lack self confidence, they tend to have short attention spans and are quick to anger. They have trouble with classwork because they are hungry, tired, stressed, etc.

I'm not sure many of these children understand that foreclosure has put them in this uncertain place, just that their home is gone and now the family is trying to live their lives in a room not much bigger than their previous bedroom.

Their parent(s) are stressed and this scares the children, which certainly does not help matters.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

I don't know of a study but I do have a few students who have been foreclosed upon. It's not a fun situation.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

No advice, just saddened that you would be "super annoyed" by the addition of a student. The school year is winding down. Presumably no one would expect you to get the student TOTALLY up to speed on everything he's missed. Regardless of reason, moves are stressful...for anyone...more so for a child who has no say and no control over where and when his family needs to relocate. Make him feel a part of things. Be welcoming and empathetic. I wish your student and his family well.

6. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

May 16, 2012

I don't have experience with foreclosures but definately with kids who are kicked out and in transition themselves. It is definately hard. As for being annoyed, I live in a community where often teachers have a TON of students move in at random times and the teacher is expected to give a grade with integrity - which can be really hard - so I understand feeling annoyed. I've known great teachers who think that, then they get over it and move on. I don't see an issue with feeling something initially.

7. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 16, 2012

I don't know any studies, but expect them to be stressed. Even if the parents try to make seem ok to their children, they carry the stress with them. They wonder how long they will be living where they are and if there will be enough food.

Last year I had a few homeless students sue to one reason or another. This year I have a few that bounce from home to home. They have no stability outside the classroom, so I try to give them as much as possible inside the classroom. I have also been known to sneak food and items like crayons in their backpacks.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 17, 2012

I would probably look at more specific situations kids are in after their families experience foreclosure, then look at related research. For example, a family who experiences foreclosure who then has to move into a 3 bedroom apartment is likely going to experience different effects than a family who goes through foreclosure then becomes homeless. Even still, becoming homeless and having a place to stay is different from ending up in a shelter. I'd look at the specifics of the situation, and go from there. However, either way, you probably would just want to base any intervention/support strategies on specific needs each child is presenting, rather than their status in a particular group. While status in a group (e.g., homelessness) might give you certain hypotheses to examine (e.g., lack of sleep, anxiety) you'd want to then specifically assess for those actual experiences, as most kids are likely to experience the same event in different ways.

Sounds like a tough situation - that was cool of you to follow up and not make those assumptions/judgements about the family!

9. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 17, 2012

I feel sorry for the student, and welcome new students whenever they come along. My conservative side doesn't have much sympathy as a default for the parents, though, who by their instability or poor decisions have brought this stress upon their children. Pay your bills, I say, and don't take on bills you can't pay. And yes, I have had difficulties in my own life, so I am not ignorant of the pressures people face.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 17, 2012

We have this a lot in my school district, and with the flooding we had at the beginning of the year, a lot of students lost their homes and didn't have anywhere to go. I have even had students leave and come back in the same year. We just got a family of new students last week.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

My heart breaks for anyone who, for whatever reason, finds him or herself homeless.

I don't have to support their choices to sympathize with their current situation. And for those with kids I feel even worse.

Knowing you've made poor choices is one thing; having your kids know it is a million times worse.

12. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 17, 2012

I've found that often when things get stressful at home, negative behaviors escalate at school. I've had students whose behavior is very "off" when their family has gone through this, so it's something to be aware of.