Forced to Resign

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Leochic06, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Leochic06

Leochic06 New Member

Feb 7, 2018

Hi all!
    I am writing this as a 7th year teacher who put herself in a bad position! I have taught primary grades my whole career. The district I work in is pay by performance. During winter district assessments, stupid me misadministered a test. I was reported by a para who was not fond of me.

Long story short I was forced to resign mid year. Lucily I found a job mid year. I had no problems finding a job due to good recommendations.

My concern is I am now due to renew my license. On the license it states, have you ever resigned to avoid discipline. Normally on job applications I list no. On the website it says to always heir on the side of caution. They encourage you to disclose an event even is it is minor.

My wonder is, I never had any formal documentation of the event. Do I list it or leave it be?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 7, 2018

How did you leave things with your former school? If someone called them (such as a future employer) would they disclose what had happened?

That's a tough situation.

4. Leochic06

Leochic06 New Member

Feb 7, 2018

I have already found a job and they have given me good references. It was the district I ended up having problems with.

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 7, 2018

I say leave it be and do not even place them on your job reference or experience. You already have a lot of experience and recommendations. I had a horrible job experience teaching Prek and I do not list the school on my resume

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 7, 2018

Yes, but what I mean is, is anyone going to call and check with your previous employers about why you left? It doesn't seem like they would.

I think honesty is important, but especially if no formal action was taken, it doesn't seem to make sense to put your license on the line.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2018

*err

What exactly does it mean when you say that you misadministered a test?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Feb 8, 2018

This is renewing your teaching license. You already have a new job, be honest with the State.

readingrules12 likes this.
  9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 8, 2018

How did you misadminister a test?

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Feb 9, 2018

I'm confused as well....is it something you did that warranted getting fired and then they let you resign to be nice? I'm unfamiliar with the term misadminister in relationship to a test. Can you please explain this to me?

Honesty is always the best policy. :)

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 9, 2018

I would err on the side of caution.

czacza likes this.
  12. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Feb 10, 2018

In my state there are many things that would be classified as midadministering a test. For example, not providing required accommodations like extra time to a sped student, providing accommodations that students do not receive, failing to collect student cell phones, failing to cover posters with content materials, teaching concepts related to the test on the day of the test. The list is endless, but the only thing that would get you fired would be cheating or allowing a student to cheat.

Providing advice is impossible without knowing what you did that caused the misadministration.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

That helps me to understand what misadministering a test may be. I know that for a state test, at least in Michigan, you need to let the state know what happened and the score doesn't count.

14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 10, 2018

Which is why I don't understand why there's no documentation. If the test misadministration was serious enough to warrant dismissal, it seems like there would be a paper trail already.

kpa1b2 likes this.
  15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2018

The teacher wasn't the one to make test admin aware of the problem - another party did that. Had the teacher owned up to the problem day of, maybe not happy, but steps to follow. IMHO, being informed after the teacher signed that there were no irregularities that there were, in fact, irregularities, by a third party creates the major issue. That's my take.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.