Forced to give the kids a longgg test....what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2019

I am giving our first test tomorrow and it is pretty long! The test is great but they combined the mid unit quiz and unit assessment. It is about 10 questions but I know that some of my students will need more time to finish since they are pretty involved. I was thinking of giving them two days for this test but our pacing is tight. We have to teach one lesson a day with this curriculum.

I have each of my classes in an extra "intervention" block every other week. For one of my classes, they could definitely finish tomorrow because they could complete the test in our intervention block. For my other class, kids would have to finish the test in our intervention time on Monday. I hope this isn't too long of a break for the kids who need more time. Do you think this would be alright or would you just give the kids two days?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 30, 2019

I'm sure there's a reason but I don't understand why a math test that is 10 questions would take so long? What type of questions are students answering?

a2z likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2019

They are pretty challenging! I hope I am wrong and that the kids don't take as long as I think they will. One of them is an open response question.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 30, 2019

I'd think that a period should be long enough, unless they're absurdly complicated. If you spread it out over two days, you're losing instruction time, but if they need it, they need it. I'd be more inclined to get rid of any extras or bellringers, if you have any, and get them started the minute they enter the room so that they're using all of their possible time.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 1, 2019

Agreed. But if the questions are absurdly complicated, then the test isn't a good test.

10 questions is not an unacceptable number for an entire class period even if one is open ended.

I'm with Otter, what type of questions could be that complicated that a class period is not long enough to answer 10 questions if students understand the material. I understand that they may not be able to finish if they have very weak skills and the problems are not "give-me" problems in ease. But in that case, they really shouldn't be given a test in which they will seem to do well but don't really have the skills to do anything but problems that almost answer themselves.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2019

Wow...ALL of my kids finished very quickly! I thought it would be a ton because the questions all had multiple parts! But they did well!

otterpop likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2019

Glad they finished!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 1, 2019

Glad they exceeded your expectations! It never hurts to set the bar high, just to see what they are capable of, since it gives a good read on how well your teaching and their achievement can truly mesh.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.