For your reading enjoyment ... a few samples of my daily emails to parents this year.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jun 16, 2012.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2012

We don't have them to rip out... I have to print them every week.

2. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

Those were awesome! I wish I could do something humorous like that, but in my district parents would try to use them as proof that I was unprofessional. When I did the more formal ones, they tried to use them like iron-clad contracts that I wasn't allowed to deviate from. I'm planning to try a six weeks newsletter at the end of the grading period with a six weeks at a glance of the upcoming grading period.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2012

Those are absolutely great! I bet your parents love your humor!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2012

Here's what I wrote this year about The King of Purple. Again, I had to restrain myself.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 16, 2012

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 16, 2012

:lol::lol:

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 16, 2012

Wonderful letters! Your students (and parents) are very lucky to have you!

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 16, 2012

These are great!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2012

How delightful!!!

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 16, 2012

:lol:

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 16, 2012

Can I get your emails next year even though I will not have a first grader in your class?

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 16, 2012

You seriously need to create a book for teachers to read for therapy.
    Sign me up too!

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 16, 2012

sign me up too

I love your way with words. it is really refreshing. I wish I had that gift. good job!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 16, 2012

I still remember an email I sent out about the letter "C" on our carpet. Some of the girls realized my name starts with a C and so does theirs! It became a spot to fight over. It was a discipline issue in the class and I was having to resort to different tactics than I normally did but I wanted parents to be aware of my strategies but not concerned about the behavior. I presented it in a way that was humorous because it really was. It meant they made an important educational connection. Another email was about a snowball fight we had in the classroom. Really lots of good stuff. But yes, the laid back conversational/humorous style IS effective especially when infused with professional knowledge. (That last part is important). I actually prefer a teacher that way. I do look forward to the emails and I get a sense that the teacher has a sense of humor and enjoys what he/she does. It is equally important that the teacher makes the educational and developmental connections and wants to convey that to parents as a sense of recognizing we are on the same team.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 16, 2012

P.S. My middle school child's band teacher has a fun writing personality and comes across as someone who is dedicated, has a sense of humor, values parent communication, genuinely wants our children to do their best work, respectful of students and their age group, and has passion for her job. She assigns community listening to professional band events as extra credit (free stuff). I get literally at least 30 emails and/or attachments a week from my 3 children's schools and often more! I get tired of reading then. Irritated times when there are just so many of them. Sometimes I put of reading some of the emails or attachments for several days and let them pile up but her emails, I often read right away.

I especially like the ones that convey a sense of compassion and understanding of the students or my child. But any way you look at it, this can be done at all levels.

The one about the Rabbit book was a good one Sarge. I wasn't sure where you were going with it at first but you told them you forgot part of your job that day in a humorous and human way but let them know that if their child didn't come home with it, not to freak out and if their child did come home with it, to praise the heck out of them.