? for TX teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amyt682, Jun 24, 2011.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

How accurate is the school reports that are put out each year detailing testing results and teacher info...Yesterday I read one that said all 110 teachers were first year teachers...none of them had any experience, can that be right?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2011

What is the source for this report?

4. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 25, 2011

It's from TEA...it's their AEIS report

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jun 25, 2011

AEIS is pretty accurate. Maybe it was a typo???

6. Rubel

Rubel Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

My aunt in Austin said universities are advising education students to change their majors. Is it really that bad down there?

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 26, 2011

What district is this? I can't imagine any district having only first year teachers. No administration could be that short-sighted.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

Are you sure it was total experience? Maybe it was a new school and they were talking about how long the teachers worked there?

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 26, 2011

I just graduated in May and I haven't heard such a thing. They are telling us to not expect to have a job our first year out, due to the state of the economy, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about being advised to change majors.

Where I graduated from (West Texas A&M -- known for education dept.) they are pushing the education department as much as they always have regardless of how the economy is.

10. Rubel

Rubel Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

I'm glad to hear that my aunt is exaggerating. It's certainly scary to be starting off in a public career when the states are having so many money troubles. Ah well, I'm sure that in the long run the education field is bright.

11. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 17, 2011

Now, I cannot attest to ALL universities of course. Some may be just casually advising people to change majors in light of how things are. I would have preferred to find out that I may not have a job early on, as opposed to finding out a week before graduation.

I lucked out of course, I got a job straight out of college so it definitely depends on the area you are in. Around the big cities (Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio) yeah you might not get a job the first year because there are 10x more people vying for those jobs than there are out here in the small towns.

12. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

I just graduated too (in DFW) and we were told the same thing, not to expect to get hired this year. It was suggested that we move to smaller and more rural areas if willing in order to get a job, or sub and hope it leads to a full time position sometime down the road. It's discouraging but at least they were being realistic with us.