For those who want a Dream Class...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Jul 27, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

Read the book by Michael Linsin. I just finished this book, "Dream Class" and it is excellent. I also LOVE his website, www.smartclassroommanagement.com for weekly emails and ideas. He has even responded to a few of my email questions in the past. I based my whole room around it last year and did truly have a "dream class". Check it out. He takes the mystery out of classroom management with his wonderful and positive ideas...

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2011

Thank you for sharing. :) I have heard of the book... sounds like a great read.

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

One of the BETTER books for all teachers to read!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I haven't heard of this book, but I will check out the site. Thanks for sharing.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

I subscribed about a year ago to the email list. I get really good articles to read about once a week. I keep them all in a folder and when I have a bad day or am feeling ineffective, I look at them again. I love it; it's like having Supernanny for teachers in my inbox!

I haven't read the book because I am broke, but maybe someday...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

Lynn, I am with you; I go back and reread his articles all the time. If I am having a problem with behavior, I go back and read the related articles and sort it out, because I understand that it is often due to something I am not doing right. When I adjust my thinking and get it back on track, the problem is usually eliminated. The website really helps with parents too.

I didn't read the book for a year. Finally had the time to read it this week and got a deeper understanding of his methods and techniques. He gives 15 keys and they are all a part of an effective teacher mindset. It has motivated me to make my classroom more fun, more interactive and more engaging. I got the management part down last year. Now I want to amp it up...

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

I truly believe that those aspects make for a class that can learn. Active learning works, passive learning has its place, but when it's short and the majority of the learning. Students should be the ones working towards their learning. When these aspects are in place, you've already cut down on some of the behavior issues. If students enjoy what they are doing and see the relevance of it in their own lives, it makes for success.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2011

Thanks for sharing this website. I think I'm going to buy the book too! I have been scanning the website for a while but I haven't seen anything on a special needs students and whether the same strategies. I have a student with autism who whenever he gets upset, he will target another student and try to physically injure him. Does he have specific strategies for this type of behavior or would he consider this bullying? When students are removed for bullying, does this mean that they do not join for morning meeting, when kids are called to sit on the carpet, gym class, etc?

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

Proud, I recommend Sammy and His Behavior Problems. It's by the Responsive Classrooms folks and has a very detailed plan for kids like you describe. I don't consider it bullying if the kid has no capacity to choose. Others might disagree, but I think working with a kid like that to learn the right Behaviors is worth it.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2011

Just ordered the book AND joined the email list - looks great! It seems similar to How to Teach Like a Champion, and a few others I've read/heard of, but I figure that I can NEVER have enough support/ideas for classroom management!

12. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

I just signed up for the emails. I love the articles I read!

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2011

very good read :)

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2011

Thanks I will take a look at this book. Unfortunately, this student does choose his behavior. He will actually run across the playground (past other students) to go and kick this child after he has gotten in trouble or after he has had a time out. In the classroom, you can actually see him searching for this student. He has gone after other students when this student is absent, but he has has quickly discovered that they might yelled at him or attempt to hit him back, so he now leaves everyone except for this one student alone. We have tried empowering this student but he is one of those kids who is afraid of everything...including ladybugs, ants, people moving too fast around him, etc... (he was removed from his home for all types of abuse).

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

If you go to his website, you can see if he addresses this type of behavior. I don't think that he does. In the book he talks about special needs students, and he discusses difficult students, but not sure if this applies or is enough for your student. Check out www.smartclassroommanagement.com and see what he says on this issue.

He covers quite a bit about difficult behavior, but this situation sounds a little extreme.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

Yes, I have read the book cover to cover twice this summer, the whole blog and am now on the email list.

I totally plan on implementing what he's doing this year!

17. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I went to his website to skim through everything and ended up staying on it for about an hour. :whistle: Bought it for my Nook! Thanks for the recommendation!

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 30, 2011

The more I look at this website, the more I want to go buy the book. I'm pondering it. I'm going to see if we have it in the professional library at school first though.

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

Everything that he says sounds so clear and simple. That's why I love him and his teaching philosophy so much. It is all based on common sense. He inspires me to be a better teacher.

I found this just before school started last year. I followed his plan to a letter. I had NO behavioral problems in my classroom. As I explained to the parents, " My rules rule ". They had no arguements with that. I LOVE his homework plan. It is maybe the favorite tool of his. But when I think about it, there are so many tools that I use now. I manage my room with confidence and it shows. I also had very little parent problems. I knew what I was doing. If I ran into a snag, back to the website to find out what I was doing wrong. I found almost all of my answers on there.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2011

I decided to e-mail Michael my question. If I get a good answer, I will buy the book:D

21. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

Do you think the book is appropriate for early childhood education? The articles I read seemed like they were for older kids.

22. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

More buying conundrums! I am loving the sound of this book too! Sadly, I don't think this is carried at my B&N, so I am obligated to find it in a library or buy it. Lovely.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2011

I am so impressed. I have now read the entire weblog. :)

24. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

Ms. Jasztal, I teach a 4/5 combo and find his teaching style very helpful. I think his methods apply to all grades, but his ideas about humor and responsibility have a big impact during these years. Younger grades maybe wouldn't get the humor. I just love his strategies for the teacher and how to remain calm and in charge. He has helped me stay the course even when things appeared to be falling apart. So true...

I'll look through Dream Class and quote a few things that I highlighted...

25. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

Does this book address the behavioral needs of students with ADD/ADHD? I have two on my roster for next school year.

26. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 30, 2011

Perhaps your media teacher (librarian?) can purchase the book for the school's professional library - you get first dibs reading it!

27. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 30, 2011

Only two? Lucky you!

28. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 30, 2011

No such thing. :(

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2011

I understand that there is a section on special needs in the book. I would think that ADD/ADHD would be considered part of the general population though, as almost every class has a few students with that diagnosis, so the information provided in the book would be pertinent to these students..

I e-mailed the author about my student with autism this morning and he e-mailed me back this evening stating that he is on holidays and will return my e-mail at a later date. I'm sure if you would like to know if it is worth your buying the book, I would e-mail him and ask.

30. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

I agree. I learn something new and it really helps my overall management plan. My go to is Dream Class though. If I had to choose one it would be this book. I like his style and his positive good natured attitude towards the job and the students...it helps me be the same.

31. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

I posted this in the wrong place last week...

This is an example from his website.

The book isn't specific about special ed students. You would need a different book for that information. There could be articles on his website that address this. Have you checked? The website is more detailed, while the book discusses the Dream Class in general terms. The book, I believe, is more about the teacher's perpective and attitude, where the website is more specific about students...I set up my room last year without having read the book. The book is the icing, but a person can get quite a bit of information from just the website and that is free.

I posted this on the wrong post. This one also...

Here are two things I underlined in the book; He has three boxes that say check, recheck and check again. Then he writes, "Each time the students checked their work, they would put a check mark in the corresponding box. After checking the last box, they would approach the front of the room where I placed a plastic inbox on a table. On the flor, five feet in front of the table I affixed the length of masking tape about three feet long. The students would stop at the tape and make a final decision." I'll paraphrase the rest; if they felt satisfied that they had the test 100% correct or as close to is as they could get, they could turn it in. If not, they would go back and fix the nagging problems. I love this and will use this because so many of our mistakes are careless errors. This method really makes the student think about their choices on the test and gives them multiple chances to self corret.

And this, he would tell his students it is his job to teach them and make sure they have the best, the most fun and exciting lessons. It is their job to listen, learn and practice what is being taught with their best efforts. So true.

It is like the website, not earthshattering stuff, but so helpful to review and make habits that I practice each day...

Sorry about that. Hope this helps...